Orford

MikeBz

Visit site
Is it me or are there a lot of empty moorings at Orford this year? Maybe it’s because a pint of beer and a medium sized glass of wine in the Jolly Sailor is £14.85 😲

Went into the harbour master’s office and expressed my gratitude that visitors’ mooring charges haven’t been hit by inflation unlike the everything else - he said they had kept all harbour charges the same this year, well done them!

johnalison

Visit site
I haven’t been there by boat since 1977. Before that the Jolly Sailor was notable for selling Adnams, less common at the time, and for being largely undeveloped, though opened out a bit since our first visit in 1972. I think the two blokes in the bar playing dominoes must have been stuffed dummies because they were always there. If MikeBz is telling the truth about prices I might not be returning, which is sad because at one time it was our favourite pub, even if the children had to wait outside in the garden in bad weather.

penfold

Visit site
Is it me or are there a lot of empty moorings at Orford this year? Maybe it’s because a pint of beer and a medium sized glass of wine in the Jolly Sailor is £14.85 😲
Did they offer attractive hire purchase terms to go along with these prices? I'd need to lay it off for a few months. :oops:

morgandlm

Visit site
I much prefer to walk up the hill to The King’s Head - much friendlier & a nicer atmosphere; we’ll be there for lunch tomorrow. Presently tucked up at anchor in Abraham’s Bosom - also the same price as last year 😀
Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but I assume your comment about anchoring in Abraham's Bosom being the same price as last year is a bit tongue in cheek. I do hope that the South Coast custom of charging for anchoring is not spreading to our part of the world!

David Morgan

Suffolk_Newbie

Visit site

Went into the harbour master’s office and expressed my gratitude that visitors’ mooring charges haven’t been hit by inflation unlike the everything else - he said they had kept all harbour charges the same this year, well done them!
The most shocking thing is that £14.85 for a Pint and a medium glass of wine didn't shock me! Dependent upon the choice of wine and pint, that's (unfortunately) around the average for where I live.

sailorman

Visit site

Went into the harbour master’s office and expressed my gratitude that visitors’ mooring charges haven’t been hit by inflation unlike the everything else - he said they had kept all harbour charges the same this year, well done them!having a new hm and launch, put the price of private mooring u years agoit wa much cheper whenvralph was hm,

PetiteFleur

Visit site
We were there last week. We were going to a meal etc at the Jolly Sailor with some friends last Sunday but one friend rang me and said - No bookings, just turn up but they now have a poor recommendation... so he rang around and got a table in Aldeburgh at The Cross Keys so motored up river and picked up a visitor mooring (FREE!) near the Martello Tower. Good meal and drinks. Mooring at Orford was £10 - very reasonable. We also filled the water tank at the Orford Sailing Club pontoon, and they had a hose on the pontoon! A good trip, especially for our friends who had travelled down from near Oban - but he did get a bit twitchy when he noticed we were only in about 3 - 4 metres of water!

MikeBz

Visit site
The most shocking thing is that £14.85 for a Pint and a medium glass of wine didn't shock me! Dependent upon the choice of wine and pint, that's (unfortunately) around the average for where I live.

Later in the week we paid £14.40 in The Bell at Walberswick (to be fair the wine was a mini-Prosecco which does cost a bit more than a medium flat white), £12.80 at the Harbour Inn Southwold (pint and med flat white) and finally £11.70 for a pint and med flat white at The White Hart in Aldeburgh. Not so long ago I said to myself that if 2 drinks cost more than a tenner I’d give up!

Cobra

Visit site
Maybe Brightlingsea Harbour could take a leaf out of their book! At present those of us with moorings/berths at the upper end of the South Channel seem to be paying for the dredging and upkeep of the main pontoons and the channel around them!

sailorman

Visit site

Went into the harbour master’s office and expressed my gratitude that visitors’ mooring charges haven’t been hit by inflation unlike the everything else - he said they had kept all harbour charges the same this year, well done them!the JS, as i understand it is under new ownership adnhams having sold it

sailorman

Visit site
We were there last week. We were going to a meal etc at the Jolly Sailor with some friends last Sunday but one friend rang me and said - No bookings, just turn up but they now have a poor recommendation... so he rang around and got a table in Aldeburgh at The Cross Keys so motored up river and picked up a visitor mooring (FREE!) near the Martello Tower. Good meal and drinks. Mooring at Orford was £10 - very reasonable. We also filled the water tank at the Orford Sailing Club pontoon, and they had a hose on the pontoon! A good trip, especially for our friends who had travelled down from near Oban - but he did get a bit twitchy when he noticed we were only in about 3 - 4 metres of water!
Just as sailing the suffolk rivers used to be

sailorman

Visit site
I haven’t been there by boat since 1977. Before that the Jolly Sailor was notable for selling Adnams, less common at the time, and for being largely undeveloped, though opened out a bit since our first visit in 1972. I think the two blokes in the bar playing dominoes must have been stuffed dummies because they were always there. If MikeBz is telling the truth about prices I might not be returning, which is sad because at one time it was our favourite pub, even if the children had to wait outside in the garden in bad weather.
The singing nights used to be brilliantmany localsperforming

Slowboat35

Visit site
Sadly many pub prices on ths part of the coast as well in the rest of E Anglia have become obscenely inflated since Covid and the vast influx of incomers from London who seem to know no shame when it comes to paying exhorbitant prices. The £5 sausage roll is spreading like the very Plague.

Up my way on the Norfolk-Suffolk border we still have brew-pubs selling top quality ales at under £4 per pint (as well as many overhead-free micro-breweries - many of whom seem to have a thing for extortion) selling cat's piss at nigh on double that - ooh! It's 'artisan' beer is it?
The Sorrrel Horse at Shottisham (walkable from The Rocks) has Oyster Happy Hour at 50% off on friday evenings...now that's more to my taste!