Opinions on 3D Tenders Superlight - from actualy users not reviewers!

frlrubett

Visit site
Have been looking at these superlight tenders for a while now. I mainly row a tender but at times will want to use a small engine to go against wind/tide. I also like to tow the dinghy with me.

Are they durable? I will not be battering them over sharp stones, but sometimes you cannot help beaching them?

Do they tow behind ok, or fly around? Happily go out in a force 6 and current dinghy does not kite.

Thanks!

Tranona

Visit site
Less durable than heavier PVC or Hypalon. Very skittish because of lighter weight but OK once you get in and start rowing. Basic round tail has rather small diameter tubes. Not sure I would like to motor the round tail but the solid transom models should be OK. For me as only an occasional user the compact dimensions, light weight and particularly the ease of deflating down to a small size were more important than long life.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
Mine will fly and flip as it’s so light, but has lasted well. The only problem was that the rubber logos went sticky and had to be slathered with talcum powder. It works with a small Honda on the transom. I’d buy another if I needed it.

seumask

Visit site
We have a black 2.8 with VIB inflatable floor. 4 years old and its been looked after reasonably well, ie, not left in the sun for more that a few days at a time and it is packed away in the locker onboard when not in use. I guess it has about 20 beach landings a year. No trouble yet and really like the low weight. Used with a 5 hp 4 stoke or previously with a 3 hp 2 stoke. I'm hoping it will last 10 years and it looks like it will get there.

Edit Ours handles 4 adults well and more on occasions!

Last edited:

rotrax

Visit site
Three years ago we purchased a Talamex lightweight 240.

Very pleased after using it as its 14 kilo weight makes it so much easier to manhandle and move about, either inflated or in its bag.

We store it on our pilothouse roof. First Mate made a cover in a matching colour to keep UV off. We dod manage the previous 40 kilo dink, but it is so much easier with the Talamex.

Well pleased so far. The flat floor may not be as good for performance under engine or rowing, but is SO much easier to board. This is important at our age.

Geoff Wode

Visit site
3D Superlight 230. I’m not a fan of rowing it, ok when it gets going. Honda 2.3 works really well with it. No keel so little directional stability. I don’t tow it as I haven’t found the need to. A paddle board pump (game changer) connected to the boat’s 12v has it inflated in under 10mins and it does that mostly unsupervised. Program the correct pressure and leave it to it. Pack down is quick and I have a small foredeck. Fits in my 23’ with no fuss. A hypalon boat would be a struggle and that’s where the 3D really scores.
I’d buy another. Its suits my usage well.

cpedw

Visit site
I've been using a 3D round tail since 2016. It's the only tender and we keep the boat on a swing mooring, reached from a stoney beach so it has seen a lot of use. It has stood up to it well. It was chosen for its easy carrying up the beach.

There was a small leak in the inflatable floor about 2 years ago. That was easily fixed using the supplied repair kit.

I don't normally tow it but keep it strapped onto the transom.

Normally row it; it goes fine. 2 years ago, I got an Espirit motor. That was awkward till I separated the battery and fitted it forward. The dinghy motors well with that arrangement.

All in all, I have found it much more robust than I had expected. It shows no sign of deteriorating soon. Famous last words!

frlrubett

Visit site
Thanks for these replies.
What is the smallest size that two people + luggage for a weekend could manage in? The 3D tender blurb says the 2.0m version, is that realistic?

wonkywinch

Visit site
Thanks for these replies.
What is the smallest size that two people + luggage for a weekend could manage in? The 3D tender blurb says the 2.0m version, is that realistic?
We have been and sat in a few makes/models. We reckon the 2.5m is minimum for our needs, shore runs, poodle up a creek, occasional third person to/from the anchorage.

I noted some models have longer sponsons reducing the space in the boat. Others were narrower = ditto.

Our choice will be the 3D Twin V shape. Will glue another rubbing stroke on the bottom for added protection. No plans to tow it, other than reposition in anchorage, otherwise it will be deflated and stored below, occasional coachroof transit if we are travelling from anchorage to another anchorage where we know it will be needed.

kalanka

Visit site
Not durable. Not reliable. Not safe. Steer clear. The rowlocks on my 3D SL 230 came away from the hull when rowing back to the boat in challenging conditions. One lock came away completely the other left hanging by a thread. In complete contrast I have a very small Achilles dinghy that is 30 years old and seems completely bombproof.

Mark Payne

Visit site
Had one for a season as it was 18Kg and my wife could lift it. Ours was a 3D Superlite. We hated it for everything except the weight. It only needed to look at something hard and to would puncture. Also it was a wet boat as the tube diameter was smaller than a proper tender... wavelets would splash over. I got rid of it and bought a Honwave. Cannot comment about towing it as I would never do that.