Opinions and guidance invited.

veshengro

Visit site
An estimate for a Dinghy cover came in at £1120. Cover to be made in the common blue Polyester fabric with openings for forestay and shrouds and a zip closure 'Jaw' to fit around the mast. Brass eyelets down the sides to enable lacing. The boat is a 14 foot Trident, so not an off the shelf type cover as say a Mirror Dinghy cover might be and so no ready made pattern for the Sail Maker to work from. Am I paying for the Sail Makers name here and the personal touch? If I send the measurements to a company in the North East, a cover of the same specifications/ materials even after transport costs will save in the region of £200.

I've only sought the one estimate South of The Watford Gap so far. :LOL:

Bouba

Visit site
Down here in France, a sellier (upholsterer for boats) charge a fortune…if you can find one who isn’t fully booked

ylop

Visit site
Did they come and take measurements? Is their commitment to make sure the final product fits? If so you are not comparing like with like.

veshengro

Visit site
The boat is walking distance from the sail Maker's, and they took measurements in addition or to confirm those provided by me.

" Is their commitment to make sure the final product fits? "

? I hope so, for over a Grand..

Pinnacle

Visit site
Seems like most of the price is time (to make a non standard cover). If you get the one from oop north, what will you do if it doesn’t fit properly?

veshengro

Visit site
what will you do if it doesn’t fit properly?

In theory if I send the correct measurements there's no reason to think that the cover wouldn't fit. The North East firm have been making sails for as long, possibly longer than the Southern company.
I think you are correct, a slightly different pattern to the usual cover, it means moving the shroud cuts an inch or two further fore of aft....
Fair enough, I half expected that to be the case anyway. I was just curious to find out if anyone had purchased a similar size boat cover recently, so that I could compare costs. 👍

PeterV

Visit site
If I were you I’d get a quote from Rain and Sun. They make very good covers, I have them for both of my Finns and your price looks way over the top.

veshengro

Visit site
"I really don't want the job"

That's quite likely Graham, other local boat owners have made the same comment. I made the initial request in February when I hoped work demand was smaller. The only option I had with Tarpaulin makers would have produced a cover almost Nuclear strike resistant, weighing as much as the boat. I see that the company mentioned above by Peter have Trident 12 Dinghies listed, and they make bigger covers for other boats, so if I send measurements for my Trident 14 they may be able to produce the goods.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
At our sailing club we buy a number of sail covers for various sailing dinghies but never anywhere near that price
most £3/400 maybe £700 for a custom made one

veshengro

Visit site
At our sailing club we buy a number of sail covers for various sailing dinghies but never anywhere near that price
most £3/400 maybe £700 for a custom made one
Thank you. I was expecting /willing to pay £850 + or - but felt I was either being over quoted to put me off or they had consulted their Solent price list and not their West of Swansea one... 😊

Daydream believer

Visit site
Is it an over boom one or a flat across the deck one?
Is it one for cut round a mast when stepped, or one where the mast has been removed as on a trailer.
Does it include the under cover for chip protection when trailing the boat?

steveeasy

Visit site
I
what will you do if it doesn’t fit properly?

In theory if I send the correct measurements there's no reason to think that the cover wouldn't fit. The North East firm have been making sails for as long, possibly longer than the Southern company.
I think you are correct, a slightly different pattern to the usual cover, it means moving the shroud cuts an inch or two further fore of aft....
Fair enough, I half expected that to be the case anyway. I was just curious to find out if anyone had purchased a similar size boat cover recently, so that I could compare costs. 👍

I bought sails and a genoa sock from a sailmaker on the North East coast. I saved £800. They looked nice. My sailing chum said they were rubbish. I got a genoa sock/ the material was thin. too big and ripped apart the very first time I put it on. I threw it away

A cover needs to be made from the best material. you need a specification. good material lasts a very long time.

Steveeasy

Wansworth

Visit site
Bought a triar pulí e and made a whole range of overs and stuff ……access to a sewing machine would help,covers made with well thought out patterns is not beyond the Ken of a sailor