Opinion on 2011 Fairline 65 or Princess 64.

Captn Cranky

Visit site
New user here. I'm thinking of buying one of them, and would be very interested in your opinion about those boats.
Is it a good choice? Any faults in these hulls? Should I consider something different?
It's going to be my first boat so any info would be welcome.

Truro Ex Pat

Visit site
You will get a number of different opinions on here.
I have been going through the same dilemma but slightly smaller as looking at the Sq 58 or Pri 56 or 60.
They are both good boats and I am leaning towards the Sq58 as the year I am looking at is 2011 and is more modern in my opinion than the older pricncess 54/58 and much cheaper than a 56 or 60.
If it was not down to money and it was an almost a new boat then Princess has the edge without a doubt as Sq have not had the huge amount of upgrades seen in the Princess yard.

jrudge

Visit site
The Squadron 65 of that vintage is the "old" model.

In practical terms this means ... 3 cabins and a master where the bed goes across the boat as opposed to fore and aft. The master windows are also smaller and the other hull windows different to now ( they are now "square flat panels" ).

Other than that it will be as near as identical to the current 65. The fly bridge is exceptional and finding anything like it on boats much bigger will be a challenge.

I almost bought a P64 and ended up with a new 65.

There is not much in it in my view, but I would guess the P64 is 4 cabins which to me would make it a better proposition. The 64 has a slightly more sociable lounge are as you enter ( sofas opposite) but a slightly more un usable dinette that looks like it has been taken from an old wimpy bar! The kitchen has some nice glass features and full height appliances. Flybridge not as good as a 65 by a long way - and that is where you spend your time. When I was looking JFM also I think pointed out the Fairline had the better bathing platform mechanism.

Personally ... as S65 and a P64 is down to taste, but at that age the 65 will have one less cabin ( IIRC) and that would point me in the direction of the 64. If you don't need 4, then the 65 probably wins due to the flybridge.

jfm

Visit site
Both very good boats; neither is a bad choice; neither has a bad hull or smilar bad fault, so the choice is down to personal requirements.

As J says, the 3 vs 4 cabin spec might decide it for you (plus a good crew cabin on both boats, so you might want to think of it as 4 vs 5 cabins). Later s65 have 4 cab+crew. If you are going to spend lots of time on it in the Med then you'll be living on the flybridge and the s65 wins hands down - the flybridges are a country mile apart. If you like flat floors the p64 wins as it has fewer internal steps. If you like watching your OH in the shower then the s65 wins because you can have a clear glass panel shower wall twixt bedroom and shower which the bed conveniently faces (you can also have frosted!). I guess they have same engines - Cat C18s, very nice - but if either of them has odd engines that might affect your choice. If you're pre2013 then p64 has a slightly more trad interior than s65, which has contemporary edgy furniture. Later prin64 have more modern interior but imho even pre 2013 the differences are slight and prob not worth worrying about. Prin 64 now has a hardtop option, leaving open a retrofit opportunity if you want that (HTs are very nice; I'd guess £75k ballpark); s65 doesn't have HT (of course you can buy a non bespoke hard top eg CS and fit that to s65 if you're lucky on dimensions). Prin64 helms annoyingly only allow one big plotter; s65 allow 2, and indeed Fairline helms are all round better than p64s. Also the fly helm on s65 has half decent windshield whereas p64 has somewhat ineffective Perspex thing - important on long trips. (check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwrAxM_-zvs at 3:30 onwards to see how these low windscreens "work" - and anyway it's quite a funny sequence where jack is unusually for him very wide of the mark). Later (2013 onwards) p64 has astonishingly good windows in master cabin - no mullions, beautiful things. s65 has mullions. Galley, it seems to me, is more "on show" in s65 than p64 and you might/might not prefer that. S65 has very slightly more fuel and water but difference is prob not significant - neither has outstandingly good range
So it's a collection of little things with neither boat being remotely a lemon, and you will want to make a personal choice - very much a good quality problem. Good luck

MapisM

Visit site
very much a good quality problem.
Heck, you can say that again, considering that she will be the OP's first boat! :D
Btw, Captn Cranky, why two threads on the very same subject?
Regardless, welcome to the asylum! :encouragement:

Captn Cranky

Visit site
Also the fly helm on s65 has half decent windshield whereas p64 has somewhat ineffective Perspex thing - important on long trips. (check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwrAxM_-zvs at 3:30 onwards to see how these low windscreens "work" - and anyway it's quite a funny sequence where jack is unusually for him very wide of the mark).

Indeed, It does seem ridiculous for long trips, which I'll be having a planty.

Btw, Captn Cranky, why two threads on the very same subject?
Regardless, welcome to the asylum! :encouragement:

Sorry, my bad. Was a bit anxious when the first one didn't show right away,

Anyway, thanks for a solid advice all around. I have a lot to consider.
From what I got from You, is that really I can't go wrong on both choices, and this is great news.