Oostende 2009, small boats in company

bastonjock

Visit site
i am sure that my little boat would make the trip,but i dont have a decent VHF,i only have a hand held and i would want a "sea me" type radar reflector.

The trip is dooable in little boats as long as your equipment levels are up to it.

There are a bunch of guys who take MAc 26s over to the bahamas,they call themselves the conch cruisers,the run from florida to the bahamas is 75nm,they hang around untill the weather is right and make the run.

I would want a sea me,an Epirb and a full vhf,extra fuel tanks and a large coffee flask,not forgetting beefing up the rudders and centerboard

Sixpence

Visit site
All achievable before the start date Matt, that's why I've started the planning this far in advance. Though one advantage of a small fleet is that everyone has the advantage of having other boats, and equipment, and experience, close enough so that everyone is helped by everyone else. Though you might not be able to get a cup of tea from the others /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Just to clarify and for the benefit of some, this is not a private and exclusive club, nor is this crossing going to be for invited individuals. If you would like to do the crossing but would feel better doing it in the company of others, get yer name down and join in. Don't care how big your boat is, nor are we worried about mobo's joining in, the only limitation is going to be speed. I think Sixpence is going to be among the slowest and at four knots, that could be a tad too slow for some, but if you want to do it, join in and let's hear from you.
The advantages of doing this as a group, are things like having the equipment of others nearby, and knowing that as a group, everyone can look after everyone else. So in a way, a sort of confidence booster for anyone wanting to extend cruising grounds but possibly a bit worried about doing it on thier own to start with.
Oostende is achievable for just about everyone, but you make your own decisions, and just cross in the company of some of the nicest people in the boating world.
Me excluded of course /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously, if you want to join in, please do so, it isn't some kind of private club, and all are welcome. Mobo and raggie, I don't care, just so long as everyone has the same aim, which is to go as a group, and enjoy the crossing. Plus the Duval on the other side is well worth it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jomo

Visit site
Hi Matt,

I like the thought of that safety kit, but don't underestimate your boat. As with the bigger boats, its a matter of watching the weather, and making safe decisions with all the info available. I think i t's the advantages in numbers Dave is after, but some winter evenings doing navigation courses would be well spent /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Google Earth, perfect for navigation /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For anyone that thinks I'm serious, I'm not, navigation course is on my list too /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

One advantage of this idea is that everyone can decide what they need to do between now and the crossing, so they're ready for it. Some input from the more experienced would also be appreciated, as long as its helpful that is /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jomo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
. Some input from the more experienced would also be appreciated, as long as its helpful that is /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

keep a doormat handy in case you need to jump in the mud /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just kidding, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Good to have you along Stef, though I'm not so sure about the "sensible passage plan constructed by those who know!!" bit /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Hi snoozy, good to have another along, far as I remember it's towards the end of May each year, open to correction from those that may know better

Sixpence

Visit site
Whatever way you want to do it Vince, you would be more than welcome. The whole point being that it's just a cruise in company rather than a 'these are the rules' sort of thing. The only limitation really is that the crossing in company has to be at roughly the speed of the slowest boat. I may not have the slowest, but I'll be surprised if anyone is slower /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Loads of time to work everything out, but it might be an idea if those that want to do it could give some idea of what speed they can manage, mine as said, is hopefully about four knots. Roughly speaking, that would make it a hard, but definately possible crossing. So have possible members of the fleet got a rough idea of what they might get out of thier boat ?
Anyone ?

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
29th May to Ist June
http://www.oostendevooranker.be/

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoopee!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can do Calais with the Sailing Association and not feel guilty not attending as Hon Sec for my last season as that will be 23 to 24 May and then either cruise up the coast to Ostend or if I am feeling stupid, sail back to UK, up to Harwich and join the cruise in (loose) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif company.

Dave, count me in for the return leg at very least! Put on Christmas list - very long rope for ostend bouys!

Can someone explain what the tea bags for Robert are all about? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Dave - Well, I know there is something wrong with my wind instrument but Beyond Reason definitely did not see Force 8 on the return from Ostend this year. And since we heard Morgana talking to Full Circle on my puny radio, we could not have been that far away from you on Morgana.

On the subject of boatspeed, on the return trip, Beyond Reason kept up a pretty steady 6 knots with the log touching 7 fairly frequently, and even 8 from time to time. But the wind was more behind us than in front and everything felt fine.

Harwich to Ostend and back is not a difficult trip. It's just a long trip. If you are capable of handling shorter passages in various conditions, Ostend is no different. Just further to go and further away from land.

The first thing to do is to get to know Sixpence and how she handles in different wind strengths and directions. How she copes in a spring tide. When to reef and by how much. Once you are confident that you can get her in and out of the East Coast rivers and up and down the coast, then crossing to Ostend will be a doddle.

I doubt if you will need EPIRBs, SEA MEs, SATphones or any other paraphernalia.

Beyond Reason has none of the above. The only additional safety feature I take on an Ostend (or similar) trip is a hired liferaft.

As I don't have a gimballed cooker, I normally boil up some hot water in flasks for teas or coffees or cupasoup if we're not expecting it to be flat calm. Usually make sandwiches or have plenty of snack foods available.

Also like to have three people on board. This allows for one person to have a rest while two others are 'on watch'. Seldom use tillerpilot so this means one helming, the other looking about and navigating. Or have I totally missed the plot and do you intend to do this trip single-handed. If so, count me out. I simply couldn't keep going that long without a rest!

Navigation from Harwich to Ostend is easy as long as you have done the courses.