Oostende 2009, small boats in company

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]

I doubt if you will need EPIRBs, SEA MEs, SATphones or any other paraphernalia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said - you can't buy safety.
The only things you really need are some experience and a good helping of common sense - and you can't buy those either.

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Roger - Well, not everybody needs to do the courses, so I am wrong there. I just used it as shorthand for eg:

knowing what a cardinal is and which way you need to go
knowing how to plot a course to steer
knowing how to cross a TSS
recognising different dayshapes, navigation lights, etc and understanding what course of action should be taken.

All that stuff.

I was just trying to be helpful. But if it ain't helpful, I'll shut up.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Sssshhhh... he's on commission (15% for each referral) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Ooh, I wonder if I could get the same off Al Jones, I suggest them whenever I get a chance /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bernie, all good advice so thanks for giving it. In the end it's going to be down to the individual to decide what they need for the trip. Personally I have main and h/h vhf, gps, charts and compass. I may well hire a l/r for the trip as it's so far and well offshore.
As for the windspeed, that was according to the instruments on Morgana, so I'm keeping out of that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Agree with Bernie about kit. My previous boat had a compass (ships and hand bearing), log, depth, VHF and a radar reflector we hoisted when crossing Dover Straits & a hand held GPS. Flipper has same other than I now have a fixed radar reflector and am thinking of getting a chartplotter - just because it makes it a bit easier!

Learnt my navigation in my teens sailing with a YM Instructor rather than on courses. When I was at Naval College learning how to do it the grey funnel way I only found out that it was easier as the platform didn't move so much!

Having sailed with a few who had done courses and not much practical I think there is a risk that some have difficulty putting it all into perspective and there is in my mind no better teacher than doing it in practice. Without trying to have an over inflated view of myself I expect I as many on here could help with nav etc training if don't want to spend the £££s on courses? Time I suppose is always the issue.

I fancy this trip in company not particularly for the 'flotilla' safety / back up (although there clearly is some comfort in knowing that others are only a few miles away) but for the company each end!

To me as a singlehander company of other boats at sea means increased risk of hitting someone too!

sailorman

Visit site
i used to race against Les in the mid 80s /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
& he is the only sail skool thay flys a spinni /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
With eight boats hoping to join in so far, plus those that do the crossing on thier own, the gathering each end could turn out to be quite an event on its own

For event, read /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Though I couldn't condone getting nissed just before sailing /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Oh yes? Which boat cos I was helming 5'ohs around that time. And in the same sailing club as Les. Les used to have an Enterprise but crewed on 5'ohs. So did you race him in 505s or Ents? Club racing or opens? He introduced me to cruising a few years back. I've been a student and a helper on his evening classes and on his practical courses. So I am well acquainted with his spinnaker! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Good to hear it Duncan. Though as has been pointed out, if the weather does kick up out there, or something else goes wrong, it's not going to be easy for others to help out other than calling for help. But still open to input from some of the more experienced. This thread aint a troll or windup folks /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif