One season in the Med - where do you go?

SonicArmin

Visit site
Hi,
After a long search I finally bought my dream boat - a Contessa 32. After a bit of fixing up, I’ll truck her to somewhere in the Mediterranean and will keep her there for one season, before sailing to Israel (where I live) and spending my time on the water racing her in the local events.
Here is the question: If you had one season (say one month after the peak season) to cruise in the Med, and you could go anywhere, where would you put your boat and why? My only conditions limiting the range of options would be that there is actually a chance of getting a berth in the area (I hear some of the more popular marinas have waiting lists several years long) and it is a safe location (in terms of security and reliable infrastructure). What say you, cruisers?

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Where are you starting from and is cost a factor?
Trucking to the Med will cost so Id think the cheapest(shortist?) option might be to go to the less fashionable bit of the French coast around Narbonne.

Resolution

Visit site
Sonic
In 2014 I wanted to move my Sabre 42 from the UK to the Med, but being prone to seasickness I trucked the boat straight to San Carlos, the MDL marina near Barcelona. Good facilities for re-launching and provisioning up. Launched in May.
We then sailed pretty much all summer with different crew every two or three weeks and wound up in Turkey in September.
On the way we visited the Balearics, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, and Greece before ending in Turkey. Fantastic experience! Only a few overnight sails, otherwise a 50 50 mix of anchorages and marinas/town quays. One currency, no language problems as enough locals spoke English or French, the only paperwork required was in Greece. Such a good time, wish I could do it again!
Do join the Cruising Association they can provide lots of relevant advice and assistance in many places if needed.
Peter

Silent Lady

Visit site
We absolutely love Turkey, especially from Marmaris round to Orhaniye. There are some beautiful places to anchor, like Bencik and there are fabulous family restaurants like Sailor's Paradise or the one at Dirsek. The sailing is pretty reliable and the weather is wonderful.

Norman_E

Visit site
Another vote for South West Turkey, Base in Marmaris and cruise in both directions from there. Lots of bay restaurants where you can tie to a jetty and be well fed. The bonus is that its a relatively short jouney to Israel by cruising east along the Turkish coast, crossing to Northern Cyprus then to Israel avoiding Syrian and Lebanese waters.

SonicArmin

Visit site
Thanks everybody, if I really was to truck her over I would put her back in near Koper, so Croatia would be an obvious choice, although I hear that prices there are insane. Also Turkey sounds good - actually that also speaks to my thought to choose Cyprus as the permanent base, not Israel - they lack professional chandleries here, and while prices for mediocre marinas are okay (the only really good one has an endless waiting list), everything else is just too expensive.
An alternative plan has formed in my mind, sailing her into the Med in several jumps, but I'll open a separate post for that.

SonicArmin

Visit site
Where are you starting from and is cost a factor?
Trucking to the Med will cost so Id think the cheapest(shortist?) option might be to go to the less fashionable bit of the French coast around Narbonne.
Yes, that would be a good place to start also. The best offer I got was for Koper, in the Adriatic sea between Italy and Croatia. Still at EU5,000 without the cost of cranes and rigging crew on both ends, so we are talking close to 7,000. I can spend that money sailing her over two or three seasons into the Eastern Med and having some experiences and fun on the way. I think this what I will be doing in the end.