On the hard

Seastoke

Visit site
So our sealine is coming out next week ,for anti fouling and major service by VP main dealer
1, they want t service the engines whilst on the hard , is this normal.
2, the company doing the antifoul has got to put right their mistake last year , so hoping
3, I usually go down and polish the shafts and props and the trim tabs , so question should I
Antifoul the above or just leave for them to gro shite again, what do you do.

Momac

Visit site
Engines are serviced with the boat on the water. This way the engine can be warmed up for oil change. Also the engine can be run to check for absence of any leak. Plus engine needs to be run after for example impeller change or coolant change or after belts are changed just to see all is well. So will they complete their checks when the boat is launched?
I don't antifoul trim tabs but there is no law against it.

oldgit

Visit site
Normally A/F the trim tabs esp upper surfaces inc coating the trim tab cylinders.
Always coat "P" brackets and rudders, paying special attention to the hidden nooks and crannies where the shafts exit the hull.
Shafts do get a smear if anything left in the tin.
Surely engines need to be up to operating temp to extract the used oil and anything suspended in it.

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
So our sealine is coming out next week ,for anti fouling and major service by VP main dealer
1, they want t service the engines whilst on the hard , is this normal.
2, the company doing the antifoul has got to put right their mistake last year , so hoping
3, I usually go down and polish the shafts and props and the trim tabs , so question should I
Antifoul the above or just leave for them to gro shite again, what do you do.
I have used Prop Speed on the props, it ain't cheap but has now been on there 3 years and the props still shiny when they come out. I have put Crystal Prop on the shafts this year (bought from T Norris) - lets see how that goes this year.

Scubadoo

Visit site
To service the engines, the oil needs to be warmed by usually running the engine when the outside temperature is low, therefore servicing on the hard I would only do say around 20c. Also, marinas do not allow to run engines on the hard due to vibration possibly affecting the boat supports. Other service items such as as filters, belts etc obviously can be done on the hard.

Antifouling is straight forward and prefer to do it myself, i use seajet 034 for the out drives, props and trim tabs, simply rub down with wet&dry (wet) and a sponge, works better if the old antifouling is an eroding type.

alt

Visit site
I always service in the water (before she comes out for winter = clean(er) oil while sitting idle).

I change the oil after a 30mile run so the oil is hot and fluid.

I can then run the engines, check for leaks etc.

When I put her up on the hard for the winter, I remove impellers and loosen belts... maybe OCD but why not?!

Greg2

Visit site
As already said, it is usual to service engines whilst in the water but it isn’t essential. Ours were done out of the water last time round by our very experienced engineer - the oil will come out but be a little slower.

I have previously left the props and shafts bare metal but fouling is getting bad now so I am going to prime with Hammerite Special Metals primer and then paint with Velox prop anti-foul - reports in PBO and on YBW forums indicate some success with this mix but with props it is a lottery whatever you use - friends are trying Silic One on the props and shafts this year.

P brackets and trim tabs have previously had standard anti-foul but I might use the Velox this year.

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site
The engine on my boat can be serviced while afloat, but the drive leg has to be serviced while out the water as the oil drain is on the bottom of it and no way to get a tube down to the bottom of the leg to suck the oil out.

Momac

Visit site
The engine on my boat can be serviced while afloat, but the drive leg has to be serviced while out the water as the oil drain is on the bottom of it and no way to get a tube down to the bottom of the leg to suck the oil out.

This is quite normal for the outdrive oil change to be possible only with the boat ashore.
There is no need to service the outdrives at the same time as the engine.
The OPs boat is on shafts .

Alicatt

Visit site
This is quite normal for the outdrive oil change to be possible only with the boat ashore.
There is no need to service the outdrives at the same time as the engine.
The OPs boat is on shafts .
I know his has shafts, just pointing out that some boats require to be out the water to have a full service of engine and transmission.

Sail drive S110 on my little motorboat, engine service is due once I have cleaned out the bilges.

Last service was done just over a year ago now, the boat has been used 4 times since then and 3 of those times was by my self, we bought the boat last Sept.

MikeB.

Visit site
Seastoke I hope your VP main dealer is better than the one I had to use recently, in short...

Wouldn't take a credit card because his invoice was over over £200
Timekeeping was dreadful
I should have made sure I got quotes in writing
Gave a verbal estimate final invoice added two zeroes
Interior of boat left with oily handprints all over seats, and mixture of oil mud and other muck all over swim deck and interior teak floor.
Area around the boat left with oil, old cable, washers, nuts, old anodes, cable ties and a Stanley knife blade!

stelican

Visit site
Seastoke I hope your VP main dealer is better than the one I had to use recently, in short...

Timekeeping was dreadful
Interior of boat left with oily handprints all over seats, and mixture of oil mud and other muck all over swim deck and interior teak floor.
Area around the boat left with oil, old cable, washers, nuts, old anodes, cable ties and a Stanley knife blade!
Who did your recent work please?

Seastoke

Visit site

Timekeeping was dreadful
Wow just give us an area they work from , it sounds not like a main dealer.