On the anchor again tonight - youghal bay - the wonder of it all

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Another night swinging gently on the hook under the vast starry cosmic canopy. The wonder of it all. The universe is so big, we are so small. Who else is out there, too far away to know, but on a night like this it gets you wondering about the meaning of life beyond career, investments, pension, mere human affirmation. Nite all.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Another night swinging gently on the hook under the vast starry cosmic canopy. The wonder of it all. The universe is so big, we are so small. Who else is out there, too far away to know, but on a night like this it gets you wondering about the meaning of life beyond career, investments, pension, mere human affirmation. Nite all.

Now those are deep thoughts. I am thinking what I am having for Brekkie :)

Fantasie 19

Visit site

If it was me pondering such deep thoughts I would blame a surfeit of Summer Lightning... :) (other strong bottled real ales are available :encouragement:)

kindredspirit

www.begleys.com
Ah, swinging around on the hook, looking up at the sky and the ghostly hills, you get the happy illusion that you are "free". I know it's only an illusion before you have to return to reality but it's lovely while it lasts. :)

MapisM

Visit site
It ain't an illusion, you just have to look at it the other way round.
While you are busy with the rat race and you don't feel free at all, THAT is just an illusion, before returning to reality, which is swinging around and look up at the sky... :) :encouragement:

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Ah, swinging around on the hook, looking up at the sky and the ghostly hills, you get the happy illusion that you are "free". I know it's only an illusion before you have to return to reality but it's lovely while it lasts. :)

Hello Kevin. Long time no see. Hope you are keeping well. Is KS still based in Killaloe? I want to agree with MapisM on this one! :)

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
While you are busy with the rat race and you don't feel free at all, THAT is just an illusion, before returning to reality, which is swinging around and look up at the sky... :) :encouragement:

I like :encouragement:

We were only out for two glorious nights at different locations but both of us feel like we have been away for a week - now back in pretend land for a virtual week before returning to a reality where time can be stretched beyond physics

Pinnacle

Visit site

In that case, I would like a lot more reality! :D

MapisM

Visit site
In that case, I would like a lot more reality! :D
LOL, easier said than done, P.
If you have seen Inception (and if you haven't, watch it!), you might remember when Cobb asked his young trainee if in any of her dreams she could remember how they began.
Now, can you remember how your whole life began? I for one can't.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

scubaman

Visit site

Funny, we spent the last weekend on an island in the outer archipelago and as I was admiring the moonlit clouds I remembered the post I did some years ago whilst on anchor and the subsequent exchange of posts we had about the joys of boating. And now you posted this :).

Yes, we are very lucky to be able to enjoy this wonderful getaway back to reality as Mapis so eloquently put it.

I recently read a novel about the days of the last sailing frigates and there was one part in particular that stuck in my mind. In that part the captain of a large frigate described his relationship with seafaring. It went loosely like this:

"As she was anchored in the bay, the others said how unreal she looked. To me she was the most real thing in the world. And when I stood on her deck, I felt like I was in the centre of the universe."

I'm not sure my translation conveyed the feeling properly but that was a description I could easily relate to :).

Last edited:

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
On the first night it took a while to find decent holding, the first four spots we tried where just flat slab rock with nothing for the anchor to bite on. Standard technique of index finger on chain feeling the vibrations coming all the way up the chain confirmed the anchor was dragging across the rock bed.

Youghal Bay
IMG_9599.jpg

The second night we had excellent holding and when the wind got up to 5/6 at 4am she didn't budge. Anchor drag alarms are a great invention for a good nights worry free sleep. I only noticed the wind because I went to the head.

Killaloe Bay
anchored001.jpg

Forgive poor phone photos, but it was dark

paul salliss

Visit site

Don't listen to the cynics. I love your post. Good luck to you