Old Volvo engines

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Has anyone much idea of the longeivity of a Volvo engine. The one in mind is a 1984 9hp single cylinder diesel. It has been regularly serviced but is now a touch down on compression, other than that it apparently runs well. Would a complete overhaul or rebuild in say 2 years time (£1,000 quoted) be realistic or is likely to expire through corrosion and need to be replaced (£4,000?). It is linked to a saildrive unit. Best guesses/opinions appreciated, trying to do some forward planning on costs.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I have seen 30 year old volvos still going strong without a rebuild.And I have seen a total blow up on a 4 year old volvo 2002.It's all down to maintenance , type of use etc.The 2002 owner ignored a head gasket leak for two years and paid dearly for that.In my opinion even if you rebuild your engine you'll still have an old engine albeit a running one.You should look at other makes like Yanmar or Beta wich are very reliable and considerably less expensive than Volvos.

scottie

Visit site
if it has flywheel at front then it is md5
flywheel in middle 2001
if it starts ok and no blue smoke and oil pressure ok then leave it alone
check the exhaust elbow for corrosion
top ovelhaul may help compression

G

My engine is an MD2 which has been in my boat since new (1969) Westerly 30, been checked over by engineer as only had the boat for9 months, apart from a little black smoke runs extremely well and reliably.

G

I guess it's an MD5C or a 2001, on a 120S.

The earlier engine is often reported as 'obsolete' by volvo dealers. I guess the key is whether it's reliable in starting and running, whether any parts need replacing and how well it's been maintained. A new exhaust outlet is over £200!!! I made my replacement in Stainless for £20.

They can be kept running and reliable, but you often need to become more resourceful the older they become!

KCA

ps Lombardini do a replacement saildrive unit that fits in the volvo hole....

G

In general Volvos keep running forever, as long as service them. I've seen some in very bad condition and they still work, where as other makes would have given up the ghost.
If the engine in question is an MD series it will last a long time. The only problem is the cost of parts and sometimes the availabilety. However if its a 2001 be wary. I'm sure theres plenty of people who are very happy with them. But when I was working in the charter market it was one of the most unreliable engines. Most problems where with the cooling system and exhaust elbows. In their defence they are very easy to work on and also servicing.

seahorse

Visit site
Re: Old Volvo what\'s it worth?

I have a 1979 MD11 in my Centaur which I'm going to replace.
It starts & runs well, Anyone any ideas on how much I could sell it for?

G

As a recent buyer of a Dufour 2800 from 1977 with a MD7A 13 hp engine I am quite satisfied with it, given that expert advice stated that it had been serviced well recently ..
Good look
Jan van Miltenburg
Haarlem
The Netherlands

Artimes

Visit site
I am interesed in your comment re cooling on the small Volvo engines. I have cooling problems on a 2001 that is overheating at full revs, ok at 3/4 revs.Have you any advise...thanks