Old fuel issues

pcatterall

Visit site
I posted recently on the age of engine oil and got the usual good advice.
I realise,now, that the fuel has been in the tank for 5 years!
Some 2 years ago I reported that my fuel had gone black following the use of a well known additive. We eventually thought that the additive had actually worked and the black colour was the result. The fuel did not clear on standing nor after several passes through my 2 micron polisher. We concluded after talking to the additives expert that the fuel was fit to use.
Time has elapsed and I.understand that modern fuels may store less well than the older stuff.
Would you advise that I dump the 20 gallons still in the tank and start afresh?
Will disposing of fuel be an issue in Spain? In the old days wokdhops and others were happy to take old fuel but perhaps this has changed?
Grateful for any responses/advice always.

Refueler

Visit site
Black ? Strange ..... if you said light to mid brown - then I could understand ... I assume you are talking Diesel ... is it Red or Road Diesel ?

Usually all you need do if worried is to add fresh fuel ... diesel engines are actually tolerant of all sorts of fuel ... as long as it free of gunk and debris .. it should run.

Refueler

Visit site

pcatterall

Visit site
Black ? Strange ..... if you said light to mid brown - then I could understand ... I assume you are talking Diesel ... is it Red or Road Diesel ?

Usually all you need do if worried is to add fresh fuel ... diesel engines are actually tolerant of all sorts of fuel ... as long as it free of gunk and debris .. it should run.
Yes black as can be! Previously we have cleaned quite brown fuel. 3 passes through the polisher and it was sparkling! The theory was that it was asphaltine caused by the fuel cleaner additive working on the bio fuel additives.
However the main issue now is the sheer age of the fuel as I understand87 that modern fuels degrade on storage.

Refueler

Visit site
Yes black as can be! Previously we have cleaned quite brown fuel. 3 passes through the polisher and it was sparkling! The theory was that it was asphaltine caused by the fuel cleaner additive working on the bio fuel additives.
However the main issue now is the sheer age of the fuel as I understand87 that modern fuels degrade on storage.

All fuels degrade over time ... light ends vaporise off ... colour goes due to light ... oxidation occurs ....

To say Modern Fuels suffer more - is myth. It all depends on the blend and storage medium.

Its 'fashionable' to talk about various ... but the truth is - 9x out of 10 - its just talk ..

Unless a full spec analysis is conducted - thats all it is. And the cost of that ?? Forget it ..

Add fresh fuel ... or empty the tank and add it back in small amounts ... no need to dump it.