old displacement hull.. engine size help please

nyx2k

Visit site
just been given a 15ft x6ft beam 1970's old plastic fishing boat. the outboard sits in a well. will post pic if helps.

i presume hull speed is about 6mph. will a 4hp long shaft i have spare push this boat up to hull speed against a 4knt tide.. have all safety ept from last boat.

Tranona

Visit site
Marginal. Will be OK in flat water, but weight, seastate and windage will quickly knock speed back. A 6 or 8hp would be more suitable, but give the 4hp a try - and plan your trips to take advantage of the tide, not fight it!

nyx2k

Visit site
thanks for the advice.
shes a heavy fat bottomed old girl. 6ft beam. green topsides so will ask in wanted for some cheap paint..

Capt Popeye

Visit site
they have some strange stuff in those places, toplac paint at a pound a tin would be too much to expect though.

Ah yes, but might I dare ask? is Toplac any or much better than, say a quality Exterior paint, in certain circumstances. I hear that 'Weathershield' paint is very good at resisting our elements, and if the craft in question, is lets say, aged and 'past its prime', is it worth actually using paints such as Toplac?

nyx2k

Visit site
im tempted to look. the worst offender is the small cuddy cabin painted inside with black. a weathersheild type paint would work in there... she is well past her best but with a certain charm.

nyx2k

Visit site
put her in chi harbour today and no problems with the 4hp. got to hull speed at less the 2k rpm or thereabouts. she handled well but i yearn for the quiet of a new four stroke. had my 4hp longshaft2stroke since new in about 96 and she looks new but the chap in the dinghy next to me had a 4hp four stroke and it was near silent.. tempted i think.

good grief...no joke... went to poundland in worthing and got 10 tins of white yacht enamel. 450ml a tin.enough to do the cuddy interior and the cabin inside hull sides.