OLD DIESEL

JonoSlatter

Visit site
I bought my first boat in August last year. In the locker was a big plastic container of diesel - about half full. Last weekend I filled it up to take on a West Country Cruise starting this weekend. Not knowing how old the original diesel is - is there anything I should be worried about using it? Or would I be better to start fresh with new diesel.

Sorry - seem to have become completely indecisive!

Thanks,

Jono
Azrar - First 26 Beneteau 1986 Volvo 2001 9HP
Poole, Dorset

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy_wilson

Visit site
Even ancient diesel (say from 1986) will still work OK. Check it is clean and clear, and smells like diesel. As long as it is liquid and oily the engine will run on it.

If you are a bit nervous dilute it with fresh 50:50.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
Diesel does not deteriorate like petrol does in store. But make quite sure there is no water or muck in it. Condensation in a half empty can or tank can produce a surprising amount of water with - er interesting results if you put it in your fuel tank.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy_wilson

Visit site
Condensation occurs in vented boat tanks which warm up on warm days but mainly due to proximity of engine, blow out the expanded air, then suck in moisture laden air from the surroundings on cooling down. The condensate sinks to the bottom leaving dry air in the tank ready to repeat the cycle.

Full tanks minimise this.

Sealed containers prevent this.

<hr width=100% size=1>