OK,own up-who's got a Sealine called Ocean Spirit

• Thread starter Deleted User YDKXO
  • Start date
D

Deleted User YDKXO

OK,own up-who\'s got a Sealine called Ocean Spirit

The current issue of The Lifeboat mag has a nice picture of a Sealine something (F43?) half sunk and being rescued by the Brighton inshore lifeboat. What happened? Are there lessons for us all?
Whilst we're on the subject, what happens to insurance write-off boats like that Fairline Squaddie wrecked off Weymouth? Is there some back street boatyard which glues the bits together again and flogs them off as one lady owner, never raced or rallied? Anyone been conned in this way?

G

Re: Written off boats

there's a website somewhere that sells them...

can't remember name or url, sorry.

G

Re: OK,own up-who\'s got a Sealine called Ocean Spirit

Mike

Tell me more about this Fairline Squaddie wrecked off Weymouth, cos I think I know where it might be.

Did the owner take some shortcut and rip out the bottom,leaving it sat on the rocks for 24 hourss or so?

Is it the same boat that Fairline wanted apparantley no more to do with?

jfm

Visit site
dodgy activities

It was an old shape squadron 50 or 47, mid 1990s. Happened last summer ish.

There are others - the phantom 42 stolen from St Helier and run onto rocks (MBM late 1999 - white hull, blue covers, if you happen to be buying) and the Astondoa 40 something that sank off the beach at Albufeira (sp?) in the Algarve.

On related point, I've often wondered how many boats there are on the secondhand market wiv clocked hour meters???

JFM

G

Re: dodgy activities

Sounds like we're getting there. Definately a 47 or 50, not the St helier one.

Anybody know anymore?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

It was pictured in MBY a few months back and, yes, apparently, it hit rocks between Weymouth and Lulworth. Quite how it did that, I dunno.

markc

Visit site

Heard rumours that the Squaddie was up for sale at 70k with a hole big enough to park a transit in. A few friends went to look at it. Owned by a bloke who bought it from the insurers hoping to make a 'turn' on it.

Mark

Scubadoo

Visit site

Basically from what I remember reading, the Fairline of Weymouth was too close to the shore. Someone from the beach (could be a field) watched the whole thing.

About the same time I saw flybridge (maybe a Princess) with only it's flybridge above the waterline on the Southampton Water - hit a buoy on his way back from Cowes at night.

RM.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Re: dodgy activities

Clocked meters aren't really an issue I would hope. Big problem with most boats is lack of hours on engines, although it doesn't stop some people plugging boats on the basis of under average use (or even average come to that). Perhaps there is a case for watching out if they have been wound on?!

Service records are another matter; I'd want whatever evidence was available that someone had looked after the machinery properly. Would be a lot less stressed whether it had done 400 hours or 600 hours (other than any dodgy move such as clocking would, I guess, hint at underlying deceipt).

If it's any consolation, I've yet to come across a clocked motorboat.

Regarding 'holy' boats, there are quite a few out there I guess. If repair has been under insurance company or owner supervision one would hope for a good result; if a wreck has been purchased as a 'project' there are obvious dangers, depending upon who handles the rebuild.

A major repair should show up in survey. Shows the importance of worrying almost more about what can be seen in the bilges versus the exterior.