Off shore clothing

mystymike

Visit site
Hello.
I wish to canvas opinions on the"sea keeping-out", qualities of the above.
Does expensive mean better? What verdict on the Century brand offered by "All-Gadgets", and others of that type?.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailorman

Visit site
we bought 2 sets HPX off the "sale rail" over a period of time, u just need to be quick or abnormal.
i will leave that to the forumites to decide
the handy thing was one Pr red F.b size other yellow (size 8 for swmbo)

<hr width=100% size=1>

ponapay

Visit site
Go to your local

fishing boat chandler.

They will have lots of good gear that is inexpensive and effective. It does not look so good nor last as long as the 'pukka' yottie stuff but it works well and is comfortable.

The price is low enough not to worry about replacing it every year rather than every two or three years for the pukka stuff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

VirgoVoyager

Visit site
We recently decided to replace our well worn out foulies and did extensive research on this very forum. The information was extensive, interesting and (as you would expect) often contradictory! We eventually opted for the Century offshore suits from Allgadgets. Haven't had a chance to try them in anger yet, but very impressed by the general quality, the excellent service and especially the price.

Will provide a full road test at the end of the season

Stuart

<hr width=100% size=1>

leechips

Visit site
Try Marine Pool offhsore stuff - dirt cheap compared to the top brands , came back from France in a howler last year and although not 100% dry was very warm

<hr width=100% size=1>

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Have tried over the years the following:

Navy issue gear - dry, but not always dry, clumsy (you move like a robot)
Compass gear - cheap, keeps spray out not waves, cold

Last year forked out approx £500 on Musto OffShore MPX, windstoppers & termals - best purchase ever. Tested in anger (F9-10) dry & relatively warm - only need proper boots now.

<hr width=100% size=1>Fair winds.
If not... reef early!

TheBoatman

Visit site
If your going offshore then I would seriously consider one of the one-piece floatation suits made for fishermen. If you combine them with a “woolly bear” under-suit you will probably have to undo the zip because you’re to hot, I speak from experience here! The downside is they are not that good at allowing you to move about with any real freedom but if your just doing a watch and its cold and wet you can’t better them, they will keep you warm and completely dry.
Peter

<hr width=100% size=1>

Solitaire

Visit site
Could not agree more! I bought one last year on a trip round from Bristol to Poole in March. It was brilliant and warm! I slept on an open deck in a Force 10 gale in St Ives Harbour in it. It was like being in a sleeping bag. Fantastic, I use it during training in the winter. One of my best boaty buys! It can be a bit cumbersome in certain situations but apart from that it's great.

<hr width=100% size=1>Boating is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powerboattraininguk.co.uk>Serious Fun</A>

Robin

Visit site
Low Tech V High Tech

Over 30 years I have gone from the basic PVC gear through a variety of proofed nylon then super fabrics. Like many I fell into the trap of buying gear the racers use in the Southern Ocean in winter but then found I didn't use it very often because it was too cumbersome, heavy and took too long to dry, I used cheaper lighter stuff. Finally 2 years back SWMBO and I went back to (modern) basics and switched back to simple but very effective soft PVC gear from Guy Cotten in France, excellent stuff.

Snazzy designs with fur lined pockets and collars and high tech fabrics all look very good (and mostly are good) but they have drawbacks. Get these super suits saltwater wet and it is a major job to get them salt free & dry again, put them away damp & salty and you open the door to mildew on them and then throughout the boat.

We visited the Guy Cotten factory shop in Concarneau and bought some 21st century white PVC on nylon suits for sailing. They had a variety of designs and PVCs, from very heavy duty stuff use on fishing boats to the softer suppler stuff we bought for sailing. The beauty of this is that it is 100% waterproof and can be simply hosed down after use, shaken to remove most of the water and dried very quickly. Surprisingly wearing this in summer in warm rain there was not a problem with internal sweating, no more so than with our old high tech gear.

Guy Cotten stuff is available over here and of course everywhere in France (look in Cooperative Maritime chandleries), or see www.guycotten.com

<hr width=100% size=1>

starboard

Visit site
Have a look at JAG wetsuits web page. Having been making good quality wetsuits for many years have just ventured into sailing foul weather gear. They make one suit at the moment, jacket and bib and braces in breathable fabric. Looks good stuff and at only £195 for the set not badly priced. I put my mate onto them for a look see and has just bought 30 suits for his charter fleet.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Thoroughly agree - JAG suits are very good value for money spoilt only by their lack of an inbuilt harness <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jagwetsuits.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=cDisplayProductRange.displayProduct&productCode=jagS3>http://www.jagwetsuits.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=cDisplayProductRange.displayProduct&productCode=jagS3</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Foul-weather clothing has really improved over the past few years, and good quality breathable stuff can transform a sail in dirty weather. If you haven't experienced really strong (F8 plus) sustained winds you won't appreciate just how severe the wind-chill factor can be, combined with the constant spray and occasional green water. That's the time when you'll be glad you spent the extra as up to these conditions there's little to chose between the budget and the top-range gear.

Footwear (IMHO) let's it all down, and I still go for the Norwegian rigger boots in preference to anything else on the market. If your feet are cold and wet, the rest of your body will soon start to suffer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
You get what you pay for

We've just replaced our 10yr old Musto HPX coastals which until last yr never gave a moments problem. We've now upgraded to the Ocean stuff 'cos we're off to the Northern climes. I'm pleased to see that they have dumped the inner liner that used to tangled in your boot (see below). Not cheap (although we did get 20% off at the LIBS) but then you get what you pay for, in my experience.

Regarding boots, I've had the Dubarry breathables for 5 years now and wouldn't go to sea without them. Comfortable, waterproof, warm and grip like deckshoes. Again not cheap but in 5 years I'd probably have bought at least three pairs of wellies.

<hr width=100% size=1>

starboard

Visit site
With regard inbuilt harness I understand the regulations now condem built in harness so manufactures inc Musto Gill etc have all stopped providing such. All new lifejackets should now have harness, this makes more sense.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StephenW

Visit site
Suggest you get breathable and not too heavy, whatever you get.

I bought Henry Lloyd TP 2000 (now TP3) and it has been excellent in fair and very foul weather. Lightweight enough not to worry about being encumbered and well cut. Money well invested, though I know not cheap (unless you buy old stock as we did for SWMBO (£180 for a full suit at the boat show).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
bought compass offshore at sbs 2 yrs ago, no leaks and keep me warm and dry and only cost £89!!
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.beneteau-owners-association.org.uk