oceon village marina

freddy the frog

Visit site
does anyone know when the building of the hotel starts at oceon village already 3 tower blocks under construction could be a full blown building site was cosidering moving boat there concerened about dust ,mess, parking etc

paul salliss

Visit site
I would stay clear of the place, my view is that it is horrid, it's only feature is great access from the M3, plus you will have to sign up with MDL!

freddy the frog

Visit site

Garold

Visit site
I would stay clear of the place, my view is that it is horrid, it's only feature is great access from the M3, plus you will have to sign up with MDL!

Clearly not everyone's cup of tea, but we liked it.

Good access to Southampton on non sailing days, lots of restaurants and bars available within walking distance, fairly well protected from everything except outrageous Xmas week 2013 southeasterlies, and pretty well patrolled. The Southampton Water journey can be a pain but we always used it for tidying up the boat on the way home, ready for a quick getaway.

However, the recent building work has been a problem. We needed to wash the boat much more often. The general noise level is higher if you visit mid week. The hotel construction may not be so bad because the building is not as high as the tower blocks.

I think the impact of any building work does depend where you are moored within the marina.

Ask ogaryo too. He has experienced the construction phase at OV too.

Cheers

Garold

freddy the frog

Visit site
marina looks ok location etc just got concerns as the hotel is within the marina on the sticky out nib as it were the 3 tower blocks seem to be set over the back more just didnt want to turn up each weekend with the boat covered in thick building dust as i cant see mdl contributing to the clean up.

colhel

Visit site
just sounding things out, dont want to commit to a year contract and discover that i am berthed on a building site which it sounds like it will be.

Don't forget with Feedom Berthing you can just move to another marina. We're based at Cobbs Quay in Poole but are considering a move to the Solent for the rest of the Winter. We stayed at Hythe, Ocean Village, Shamrock Quay and one of the Hamble ones last year for no extra charge. I've noticed a bit of MDL bashing on this forum, but can't understand the reasoning, maybe someone can enlighten me? :)

CHI

Visit site
I have been there for many years. Originally in the South Basin now in the North Basin. No problems at all, great place. Always very easy access . Lots of restaurants nearby with more coming in the very near future.

Cinemas on site also. Building work has not made much of a difference to me .

All MDL staff at Ocean Village very helpful and a pleasure to chat to.

freddy the frog

Visit site
i dont have a problem with mdl as a company, i was berthed at mercury a few years ago until i had the pips squeezed out of me, the prices at oceon village seem more realistic but just concerned about the hotel construction as i said previous the hotel building site is actually on the nib which is within the marina not on the boundry.
ah well decisions decisions.

Firefly625

Visit site
Don't forget with Feedom Berthing you can just move to another marina. We're based at Cobbs Quay in Poole but are considering a move to the Solent for the rest of the Winter. We stayed at Hythe, Ocean Village, Shamrock Quay and one of the Hamble ones last year for no extra charge. I've noticed a bit of MDL bashing on this forum, but can't understand the reasoning, maybe someone can enlighten me? :)

Personally I have kept my boats at MDL marina's for around 7 years, my parents have kept their boats at Mercury since 1971 so they were there in fact before MDL and purchased a lease on their 15m berth some 24 years ago which was a very wise move... Anyway, we (as a family) have always been very well looked after by MDL, as you would expect to be as a customer. I think all their marina's are well located, in good condition and well maintained and are staffed by good teams. Perhaps a sweeping statement but I say as I find. So I am too always confused when MDL come up for a bashing.... perhaps its because they don't do "deals", or are priced at the higher end of the market.. but you get what you pay for in this world.

freddy the frog

Visit site
Personally I have kept my boats at MDL marina's for around 7 years, my parents have kept their boats at Mercury since 1971 so they were there in fact before MDL and purchased a lease on their 15m berth some 24 years ago which was a very wise move... Anyway, we (as a family) have always been very well looked after by MDL, as you would expect to be as a customer. I think all their marina's are well located, in good condition and well maintained and are staffed by good teams. Perhaps a sweeping statement but I say as I find. So I am too always confused when MDL come up for a bashing.... perhaps its because they don't do "deals", or are priced at the higher end of the market.. but you get what you pay for in this world.
as i said no problem with mdl at all, you berth where according to your wallet allows and oceon village fits my budget just this construction work and lack of info on it is my concern

PEJ

www.sealinesc38forsale.co.uk
I don't think they have even got planning permission for the hotel yet. The other site is nearly finished. The building work never bothered me. Been there 4 or 5 years now.

flaming

Visit site
I don't think they have even got planning permission for the hotel yet.

That's my understanding. have lived in OV for nearly 4 years now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that hotel gets quietly dropped...

VAO

Visit site
My understanding is that if they DON'T start the hotel in 2014 they may lose their planning permission. When it would be finished is another matter!

oGaryo

Visit site
Ocean Village, I really like it for the reasons Garold has mentioned. I spent a couple of months on the Hamble this summer and if I were given the choice, I'd still go for Ocean Village then use the freedom berthing when I want to visit the likes of the Hamble. The building works of the flats are now manageable and I don't see issues with dust and the like this coming season and as said, even if the hotel goes ahead, I don't think it'll be as problematic. Give it a try, if it turns out not to be your cup of tea, request a berth swap to another marina mid season

MRC

Visit site
I used to really like it in OV. Spent 7-8 years there. Don't have a boat there at the moment but will more than likely have a boat there again when the marina is finished. (I have a 24m berth sat empty and you are not allowed to sublet, that's about my only gripe with mdl)