Numpty Yacht driver

Cookee

www.bananasharkracing.com
To the total idiot who was in charge of a yacht in Salcombe this evening - You obviously are the poster boy for compulsory training!

When in a restricted narrow channel it is not Ok to do a U turn in front of a powerboat, especially when you have no sails even on your boat. And to the wife who thinks it's OK because "we just want to go over there" is a good enough reason to ignore collision regulations - go boil your head!

I feel better now thank you!

If you have any doubt as to whether this is addressed at you then I can assure you it isn't - the person concerned is aware of how I feel - I didn't swear or get abusive but the person concerned will know exactly who he is!

Seajet

Visit site
So all the info we have so far is that a sailing boat under power did a turn in front of what was effectively another motor boat, no idea as to col regs etc !:rolleyes:

Shouty big letters don't impress anyone, how about an actual description of what happened ?

I find the phrase 'not Ok to do in front of a powerboat' interesting; not a boat, but a 'Power' boat'...You may be right, the sailing boat skippers' wotsit probably was bigger than yours !

Last edited:

Cookee

So all the info we have so far is that a sailing boat under power did a turn in front of what was effectively another motor boat, no idea as to col regs etc !:rolleyes:

Narrow channel both vessels on the correct side of the channel and the yacht turned in front of me causing me to have to go hard astern to avoid certain collision and wait for them to complete their manoeuvre - I only mention it was a yacht because it was - I would have been just as annoyed if it had been a motor boat but it wasn't - the worst example of boat handling I have see in a very long time - hope that's clear?

tcm

Visit site
um, it may well have inconvenienced you, but doing a u-turn in a boat might be needed at any time. You may sometimes have to make special allowances for other vessels, and one day the “idiot” doing a u-turn could be you. IN any event, it’s gonna be best that any deviation from what “should normally” happen isn’t met with wild angry outbursts like yours - it shows that you cannot deal with the unexpected which is ultimately why you keep a lookout, no? He does a u-turn which makes a collision likely, you have go hard astern, that’s what you do - rule 1 is it?

So yes, completely clear, i think.

Last edited:

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
So, you were behind him, and he turned... Did he go to port or starboard....?

Cookee

So, you were behind him, and he turned... Did he go to port or starboard....?

No we we going to pass each other going in opposite directions.

As it happens I also skipper a yacht (my wife's) and I am aware that as it's a boat not a plane it is capable of stopping without falling out of the sky or sinking. For the record it was pretty much slack water with little or no wind. There was no need for the manoeuvre which "inconvenienced" me except out of ignorance. I have no way of knowing whether he thought he could turn in front of me or what but he showed no evidence of apology or a little wave to say I'm sorry or anything, just carried on as if he had some royal privilege - that was what made it worse.

Seajet

Visit site
So I take it your rudder and throttle were both seized, and the deflector array pushing lesser boats and asteroids aside had failed too ? I'd be writing a snotty letter to the builders if I were you...:)

Cookee

So I take it your rudder and throttle were both seized, and the deflector array pushing lesser boats and asteroids aside had failed too ? I'd be writing a snotty letter to the builders if I were you...:)

As the builder I would be very upset with myself! :D

So what is it that has stirred such a strong reaction? Would it have been different if it had been a motor boat?

Seajet

Visit site

So what is it that has stirred such a strong reaction? Would it have been different if it had been a motor boat?

I'd react exactly the same; effectively both vessels were motor boats, but one is yelling about the other daring to make a turn, without giving any details; I notice he's saying 'numpty yacht driver' in big shouty letters, with zero information as to how he's come to that conclusion...

I wonder if the OP actually knows what he's up to, as it doesn't come through here.

I've seen countless prats in mobo's - and sailing boats - over the years but also a huge number of great people,but I don't post big shouty letters when absolutely zero was the consequence, in this case a floating ego may have had to alter course or adjust the throttle, which apparently is hard work and beneath him !

I apologise right now if I'm being unfair, but that's how it seems going by what's been said; please note, I regard both boats in this non-incident to be motor boats.

Last edited:

jac

Visit site
What stirred a re-action is

IMHO it's two things

1) the bright red shouty bid on the op. we know you're pissed off but ....
2) we haven't got the facts ( not that that makes a difference normally)

The way you described it, some bloke in a sailing boat did a u turn in front of you. You didn't explain why that was bad, what rule he broke etc.

E.g. The guy was 1/2 mile ahead turned round and you didn't have to do a thing is completely different to the guy was 20 yards in front, on his side of the channel when suddenly he did a u turn, right in front of me. I had to go full astern to avoid a collision.

The op sounded like the first scenario, the later post sounded like the second.

Seajet

Visit site
Does anyone onthis forum ever do Sympathy for the poster ?

Or are you all set on making a bad day worse ??

No-one here, especially me, wants to make any seafarers day worse ! However if adjusting throttle/s and helm is a diabolical torture, maybe the person ought to take up bowling. :)

marklucas

Visit site
To the total idiot who was in charge of a yacht in Salcombe this evening - You obviously are the poster boy for compulsory training!

When in a restricted narrow channel it is not Ok to do a U turn in front of a powerboat, especially when you have no sails even on your boat. And to the wife who thinks it's OK because "we just want to go over there" is a good enough reason to ignore collision regulations - go boil your head!

If you have any doubt as to whether this is addressed at you then I can assure you it isn't - the person concerned is aware of how I feel - I didn't swear or get abusive but the person concerned will know exactly who he is!

Was there any point to your post?

Poignard

Visit site

Why are you telling me this?

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc

If it had been a mobo doing it to a yacht, the post would still be here, there would be 87 pages of support for the poor raggie. Scroll down a few posts and you'll see what i mean. :D:D:D

Last edited: