Not your everyday clouds....

Davy_S

Visit site
0fdd0d69d7c55ced-800.webp

johnalison

Visit site
Clouds are an endless source of interest and sometimes pleasure. I can recommend The Cloud Spotter’s Guide for those who like me have no technical knowledge of the subject, for an easy introduction, amusingly written.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Lenticulars are glider pilot's favourite for height climbs, world record stands at about 52,000 ft.

Yeah, not exactly rare though those are spectacular (and not seen everyday). The problem with the height record is not the lift of course, it's that pressurisation is a challenge in a glider - even using pressure suits over 50K is a getting a bit fraught so they had to build a pressurised glider in the end.

The distance record is over 3,000 km and the duration record is apparently about 3 days though I thought that the Germans actually had someone stay airborne for about 5 days before crashing sometime in the 30's - at which point they stopped trying because it was dangerous and didn't really prove anything (you just fly up and down a ridge for as long as the wind blows, which can be weeks on occasion).