Not the Royal Navy

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Unlike that navy, the Royal Navy CAN give you (a bucket of instant) sunshine any time they like.

But they don't have a tall ship for training. Should they? I'm in two minds but err on the side of yes.

lustyd

Visit site
They might not have one for training but they have tall ships in commission which they could use if they choose to. I think our navy tends to focus on training that’s useful though. They do have a sail training fleet for learning to use sails, but that’s a leisure activity.

capnsensible

Visit site
No point. Being at sea operating a modern warship is infinitely more important.

Tall ships? Nah. But there is the Adventurous Sail Traing Centre with yachts. This is a valuable resource for character development with young sailors, soldiers and airmen. There are too few people in the services as it is so adventurous training and leadership skills need careful management.

Been there, done it, got the hangovers. :cool:

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Warrior floats, but the engine is a dummy and I think the rig is representative rather than fully working too. She gets towed to a dry dock every so often for hull maintenance (and a chance to maintain her moorings) but does she ever move further than that?

Not a training ship anyway. I had the impression that the argument for training ships was to form young new starters into people used to being at sea, expanding their limits, and working as a crew... and to do it quickly and in large numbers... rather than specifically sailing skills. The tall ship sailing part just happens to be a good way to keep a lot of people busy at once. But for that to be worth the outlay you need a lot of recruits.

lustyd

Visit site
Yes agree they have the sailing school for that, I was just pointing out the Navy does have such ships and if it chose to it could use them. I think most of us agree that would be a waste of time and money, although perhaps not as much as maintaining 1 1/2 aircraft carriers that seem mostly to be used to host events. PoW will probably be sold soon so we may have budget for a sail after all 😂

Bouba

Visit site
Yes agree they have the sailing school for that, I was just pointing out the Navy does have such ships and if it chose to it could use them. I think most of us agree that would be a waste of time and money, although perhaps not as much as maintaining 1 1/2 aircraft carriers that seem mostly to be used to host events. PoW will probably be sold soon so we may have budget for a sail after all 😂
The accepted rule is for three carriers to be sure of having one always available…so to do it with two is an accomplishment…it’s done by having more of its upkeep done alongside rather than in dry dock. However, unlike the USN, the carriers aren’t expected to be at sea for long periods and away from home even longer

Bouba

Visit site
We are selling one though so…
If there is further retrenchment after the independence birthday of the USA...I think they will keep two hulls...but only one crew and one flight wing. ie there will be two carriers but never two at the same time

lustyd

Visit site
it was news in February, now its olds. PoW hasn`t been operationa for a long time, it was stripped for parts. QE is almost always in dock too having work done.

capnsensible

Visit site
it was news in February, now its olds. PoW hasn`t been operationa for a long time, it was stripped for parts. QE is almost always in dock too having work done.
Dunno where you get your news from. I could post you links to disprove all of that, but then it would be bye bye thread.....