North Wales, a weather paradise

BruceK

Visit site
Agg. Once SOCO is done collecting evidence I think we can put it to rest and go back out. No point in sitting here mulling it to death.

BruceK

Visit site
I suppose it's only fair I finish this off. So what is North Wales like when you are not sitting at anchor in sustained F7's for 3 days trying to cross Caernarfon Bar and Bardsey Sound? When you're not cut short mid cruise to attend to your home being burgled? Well it's to be avoided quite honestly.

Stuck behind Abermenai Point during the storms in a very narrow channel we made the most of our time inclusive of tent to duck into when the rains thundered down.

BnwrvTs.jpg

nVlzlfX.jpg

r3qalnn.jpg

Complete with BBQs and company

pw4p3gc.jpg

2SAETLA.jpg

On the Bank Holiday Monday we tried once again to make the Bar crossing to Bardsey sound but were beaten back with wind over tide huge standing waves at the mouth of the strait. Just as well because half an hour later was when the police called us.

On Wednesday we decided to resume our cruise but it would be severely curtailed due to just a handful of days left and the weather just not letting up for any length of time. Once again we crossed the hell that is Conwy Bay when the winds whip it up and were just crossing Puffin Island at the North entrance to the strait when we were run down and overtaken by this old paddle steamer. You wouldn't credit the speed it can carry. We were reduced to 14 knts because of the swell but this thing must have been doing 20 plus more.

The Waverly

RSygIzK.jpg

We spent the night sheltered against the North Westerlies in Moelfre enjoying a few drinks and meal at The Kinmel

n8IJlF5.jpg

ml7NvsN.jpg

AehCNYu.jpg

A8O8yXX.jpg

BruceK

Visit site
Dulus Island

ZY6vH4v.jpg

Thursday and Friday found us at Porth Wen. Thursday we had it all to ourselves and just enjoyed the tranquility while the kids went off searching for Geocache's hidden in the hills.

JztTt6x.jpg

inATmHW.jpg

GShdKQi.jpg

v4kF9XR.jpg

0JdVH7h.jpg

Come Friday it became a veritable circus of activity with 4 RIBs carrying something in the order of 20 passengers between them decided to liven up the place, and Roy (Seastoke) decided he'd join us bringing cold beverages which he handed out sparingly and grudgingly managing to look both pleased with his largess and forlorn at his loss simultaneously.

It was a great day and the kids swam followed by an afternoon wander round the hills.

rIBbCVt.jpg

2g5yW74.jpg

j2dD1wg.jpg

RLHawnL.jpg

JDEgKIG.jpg

dkpp5cj.jpg

JAZWpLc.jpg

BruceK

Visit site
Saturday and Sunday saw Roy (Seastoke) and ourselves on the hook off Lamb Island while we rode out some F6 southerlies.

XYHuXZe.jpg

5aLDvft.jpg

We managed a trip via tender to Cemaes to get BBQ supplies and hit the Stag.
Roy obviously making sure he got his fair share of the funbox

0XPD13I.jpg

before regaling the kids on how he used to send smoke signals back before the days of vhf

Sunday we sat out the rain. Did a bit of geocache exploring in the caves and some fishing before heading back.

p06CAmD.jpg

bLSgs8v.jpg

8HnWm9b.jpg

my lovely family taking the mickey out of me after I found some bananas on the boat, hurled them in the sea with superstitious fright and blamed them for the resulting bad weather and poor catch rate

vas

Visit site
nice report with some lovely pics!
however Bruce I'm a bit confused, you want to attract ppl to NW or make sure they never come?
I'm asking as there are some really BRILLIANT pics and some nasty weather one, ok, good balance but I think Kwackers wont be at all please as per his #10 post :p

well done!

cheers

V.

PS. what's the water temp? you guys up north are really hard, wouldn't dare get in there unless its 23+C

BruceK

Visit site
I'm asking as there are some really BRILLIANT pics and some nasty weather one,

I know. All in one day too! Isn't it great :D

To sort your confusion out the title was really a satirical response to Mapism's thread of a lightning strike in Med paradise. We in North Wales are very proud of our waters, even when they bite, so like to boast but not advertise which is a bit of a conundrum really. Hopefully the company we can provide would put most off especially if we use Seastoke and Kwackers as ambassadors. What do you think?

bigwow

Visit site
I've forgotten what the waters, and my boat, look like this year! And what a year, weather-wise, it's been!

C08

Visit site
Thanks for the piccies particularly Porth Wen - made me feel quite nostalgic for Wales, apart from the weather. I think you get more nesh as you get older so I will stay a southener for now! I thought I knew Anglesey pretty well but I do not recall Lamb Island, where is that?

BruceK

Visit site
Great pics and story Bruce. Love the one of your lad looking all grumpy!

Ah sibling love with the little sister which is beneath his dignity so typical of that age. If you enjoyed that you'll love this and can imagine my despair when I received their school photo :(

0GsmRL8.jpg

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Ah sibling love with the little sister which is beneath his dignity so typical of that age. If you enjoyed that you'll love this and can imagine my despair when I received their school photo :(

0GsmRL8.jpg

That's priceless Bruce. Reminds me of my son's school photos whereby he had a vacant looking smile that made it look like he was having a ****. My wife used to give him instructions not to smile for the camera. Needless to say we rarely bought the photos

Anyhow at least you can use those school photos to take the piss out of your kids (like we do) e.g. when they get new girlfriends!

MrB

Visit site

0GsmRL8.jpg

Great cruise report, I love Wales but this last comment/pic made me PMFSL......Quality. (I would post an emoji but they no longer work?)

Seastoke

Visit site
One thing I know if my boat catches fire and flares fail I can call the RNLI by smoke signals but without viat memories I am dead