North Sea: pics of huge seas this week

AndieMac

Visit site
If I were pushed into a corner and had no choice I would say one would be fairly OK in one of these, no busted port holes etc, 3/4" bullet proof stuff with crash covers, crash covers for all saloon/external windows, heavy weight steel construction and five watertight bulkheads, I think you might lose the RIB from the fore deck though :)

(caveat , I have vested interest, but doesn't change my view, a few people on here have been on board and can attest to her credentials)

Now that's a proper little ship Nautical, just admiring that substantial bow section and deep bulwarks. As you say the water can't sink you if it is kept outside.

AndieMac

Visit site
Obviously the big difference between any mobo and a yacht is self righting capability so I guess the correct tactic for a mobo is to avoid being knocked over at all costs which I guess means heading straight into the wind and waves at minimum speed. I think this is a tactic used by fishing boats in extreme conditions. Anyone care to say what they would do in these conditions with a motorboat?

According to info from circumnavigating mobo skippers, the storm shutters are locked in, and it's head to weather at tick-over, 1 or 2 knots, and go and strap yourself in.
The big parachute sea-anchor is always ready to deploy from the bow in case of mechanical failure.

fisherman

Visit site
Fishing skippers used to reckon that sea conditions were always much worse in the vicinity of oil platforms, they referred to it as the 'Lloyds drop test'. They thought there was some sort of mini weather system, no reason was ever put forward as far as I know. My friend is a support vessel skipper, he came home on tuesday with boots full of adrenalin. They close the shutters and dodge, the worst thing you can do is to run into the rig.....

The main thing if caught out is preparation, if every last item is not attended to/lashed down the sea will pick away at it until something gives, just at the worst moment. No good wondering if you resecured the batteries, or if there's a loose can of lube sculling around the engine room. The one I did not expect was the gas stove jumping out of its berth and into the back of my legs.

Kipper

North West when I have to, North Wales when I can
Visit site
If I were pushed into a corner and had no choice I would say one would be fairly OK in one of these, no busted port holes etc, 3/4" bullet proof stuff with crash covers, crash covers for all saloon/external windows, heavy weight steel construction and five watertight bulkheads, I think you might lose the RIB from the fore deck though :)

(caveat , I have vested interest, but doesn't change my view, a few people on here have been on board and can attest to her credentials)

Thats stunning how much?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You've got me drooling over boats again when I should be working, Trevor:) Yes, the Molokai looks to be the veritable dog's bollox. Btw why is it called the Molokai Straits? Is it built nearby or is there something else to the name

blueglass

Visit site
I'm slightly suspicious as to their authenticity. The pic #5 shows the waterline of the boat and there doesn't seem to be any waves coming from the boat. Ie. waves caused by that big lump of a boat being on the water.

Pic #7 is a bit of the same, but more to the point, the surrounding waves look a lot smaller than on the other pics. Ie. might be a real pic taken on more 'moderate' conditions.

The other 'Perfect storm' pictures don't show the waterline ie. it's easier to embed a boat between the waves because of not having to fake wake.

The quality of light landing on the boat is a bit odd on pic #8.

Pic #3 ???

Anorak off now... :)
+1. Everybody is so blown away by the drama of them they WANT to believe them authentic

Visit site
Anyone care to say what they would do in these conditions with a motorboat?

Horrid, but fine.
Our trip was just 20 miles of open water, but conditions were remarkably similar and wave heights (trough to peak) we estimated averaged 15m, but they were all taller than the length of our boat which was 13m.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be in it any longer and the relative calm in the lee of the cape was very much appreciated. Our waves were all on the port quarter.

Visit site
+1. Everybody is so blown away by the drama of them they WANT to believe them authentic

Not really, those seas are commonplace in the North Atlantic and far North Sea.
I couldn't see any rocks, quays or anything that would make me think fake. Why would you fake them?
It is dramatic, but not OMG dramatic.

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
You've got me drooling over boats again when I should be working, Trevor:) Yes, the Molokai looks to be the veritable dog's bollox. Btw why is it called the Molokai Straits? Is it built nearby or is there something else to the name

Hi Mike, I believe it was just a name they picked because the area is very famous in nautical circles. Just on my way to Miami show and will be on board Hercules for a few days ( although we just sold her so have to keep my sticky mitts off the shiny paintwork !).

Re other question, new build is around USD $6m , you pretty much get free reign on the design side and providing engineering dept agree your choice of machinery and electronics etc.

I can say that having been out on her the feeling off sheer brute "bash the sea into submission" feeling is immense , I have to admit no plastic boat comes close, if ocean crossing is a regular part of your cruising then this is the pinnacle of what you can get.

I ll try take a few pics over the weekend and post, the submarine type doors below in the accommodation space are just awesome bits of kit, makes you feel like nuclear sub mariner !

T

T

blueglass

Visit site
Not really, those seas are commonplace in the North Atlantic and far North Sea.
I couldn't see any rocks, quays or anything that would make me think fake. Why would you fake them?
It is dramatic, but not OMG dramatic.

I know the seas are genuine - its the placing of the boat just a bit dubious. I can't beleive nobody else can see the part submerged breakwater/quay or whatever in #6. Look closely and see the waves breaking over something man made in the lower right quadrant. either that or its a wave with right angles in it? Maybe I am dreaming. I can see faces in clouds as well you know.

Nigelhg

Visit site
I know the seas are genuine - its the placing of the boat just a bit dubious. I can't beleive nobody else can see the part submerged breakwater/quay or whatever in #6. Look closely and see the waves breaking over something man made in the lower right quadrant. either that or its a wave with right angles in it? Maybe I am dreaming. I can see faces in clouds as well you know.

I can't see what you're talking about- have you calibrated your monitor recently?

Visit site
Maybe I am dreaming. I can see faces in clouds as well you know.

PMSL!
I can see the little right angle thing just south of centre on the right hand side, but I really think it is a trick of the light or something.

As for the seas, these standby vessels and large commercial fishing vessels are out for weeks on end in seas like these. I couldn't think of anything worse than being sat in those conditions for longer than I was back in 2008. But for the boats that are in it and the crews who make a career out of it, it isn't abnormal.

As for faces in the clouds... It's mine as I have my head in them much of the time.

Tom

ACE

Visit site
I don’t doubt that the pictures are real, I live in Aberdeen and work in relation to the offshore industry the North Sea can be a very cruel and cold place. Here is another one …. (Will try to find more that I have ...) :eek: :eek:

picture.php

adey

Visit site
I know the seas are genuine - its the placing of the boat just a bit dubious. I can't beleive nobody else can see the part submerged breakwater/quay or whatever in #6.

I see it. It does look like slightly iffy.
The horizontal lines in the bottom left corner of the same picture also look wrong.
NSea6.jpg

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
I see it. It does look like slightly iffy.
The horizontal lines in the bottom left corner of the same picture also look wrong.
Do you prefer this one?
It took me one minute to get rid of that part.
Sometimes i think that these days more time is wasted debating about photoshopped pics than actually photoshopping them.
As jfm said, why anyone would bother doing that?
And if anyone really would, it's easy to do an even better job than with real pics.
NorthSea.jpg

blueglass

Visit site
Do you prefer this one?
It took me one minute to get rid of that part.
Sometimes i think that these days more time is wasted debating about photoshopped pics than actually photoshopping them.
As jfm said, why anyone would bother doing that?
And if anyone really would, it's easy to do an even better job than with real pics.
NorthSea.jpg

not sure of your point, but you seem to be asking why anybody would bother doing it?
they just do - alll the time, for a bit of a laugh and usually no harm done - its something of a national hobby. Unfortunately it increases scepticism, and the old adage "the camera never lies" is now firmly in history's waste bin.