Norman or Freeman

ripvan1

Visit site
Hi - I'm looking at Norman 20, 22 and 23s and also Freeman 22s Mk 1 & 11 for coastal weekending out of Portsmouth, any views on these models gratefully received. Thanks

My preference is for the F 22 Mk 1, as it has a classic look to it.

Last edited:

Alpha22

Visit site
Some of the Normans had plaining hulls and matched with a modern powerful outboard can be great fun at sea. Check if the transom is solid or expect to repair / re-inforce it.

The Freeman's are inboard engined, mainly Watormota petrol 35 Hp Ford 105e (Anglia) engine based. You are working with a 40-50 year old engine that will only achieve displacement speeds (8 knots) - Think carefully about the reliability and get-you-home-ability.
There were a few 22 foot twins made, that could be fun at sea.... A 26 twim would be a great boat too, have a look around at what is available.

I know a bloke who has done a number of channel crossings in a 22 though...... but he is certifiable.

Check out http://freemancruiser.12.forumer.com/ for informed Freeman chat.
or
http://www.normanboats.co.uk/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=1 for similar Norman chat.

SimonA

Visit site
Hi - I'm looking at Norman 20, 22 and 23s and also Freeman 22s Mk 1 & 11 for coastal weekending out of Portsmouth, any views on these models gratefully received. Thanks

My preference is for the F 22 Mk 1, as it has a classic look to it.

I had a Freeman 22 Mk1 many years ago, great River boat. I wouldn't have thought it's a great Sea boat though, but I have heard of people taking them out in good weather. One word of warning, the fuel tank is likely to have 40 years worth of crud in the bottom, I had an issue with mine in a choppy river, it stirs up the crud and blocks filters.

The bigger Freeman's with twin engines are probably more suited for coastal work.

ripvan1

Visit site
Thanks all for replies

Cuchillo, have PM'd you re: Norman

Edit - sorry, I've just seen your reply

Last edited:

Alpha22

Visit site
One word of warning, the fuel tank is likely to have 40 years worth of crud in the bottom, I had an issue with mine in a choppy river, it stirs up the crud and blocks filters.

The bigger Freeman's with twin engines are probably more suited for coastal work.

Tanks on a 22 are easy-peasy to take out and jetwash at the local garage, I even did the ones on my 30 the same way. Total cost £4. Spotless tanks!

I've taken my 30 round the coast a few times, but you wouldn't get me out in a 22 unless it was millpond flat and there was an easy bolt hole if the weather got up.

crofty1984

Visit site
I was looking at these boats a couple of months ago.
If you're mainly going to be on the rivers, I'd pick an unmolested Freeman every time. The quality of fit out is excellent and they hold their value well.
Nothing wrong with the Normans, but they felt a lot cheaper to me.

One thing I would say with the Freeman is to find a marina with a Mk1 and Mk2 for sale nearby and go in them one after the other. I found that the Mk2 was a nicer place to be inside as the higher front made it feel a lot brighter and airy inside.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Norman 20 does not have standing headroom anywhere in the cabin, the Freeman does. May be a consideration. I owned a Conquest for a few years and she was fine on the canals and non tidal rivers. The Tideway was OK too with some planning but would have been uncertain about the open sea, even with a bigger and newer engine.