Norfolk broads by sea on a flybridge?

Murv

Visit site
Just kicking around ideas for next years summer holiday and wondering about the broads.
The Southern broads seem accessible, and maybe a bit quieter but having never been there, is it a viable option by sea?
Does it get very busy, is there much to do etc?
Restrictions would be 2, possibly 3 weeks and air drafts of around 4-5 metres.
Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.

ianc1200

Visit site
We took our Cornish Crabber sailing boat up there in 2015, and intend bringing her back next Spring. We went from Walton on the Naze up to Lowestoft. There's the Royal & Norfolk & Suffolk YC marina just inside the entrance and opposite a dock with a waiting pontoon. A little further is a lifting roadbridge which opens at set times; then there's about 1.5 mile of Lake Lothing with the Haven Marina, and other boatyards, before a railway swing bridge, Mutford Lock and a lifting roadbridge. I think you have to give 24 hours notice to arrange for the railway bridge + lock etc. That's easier to do/arrange than it appears. After the lock you're on Oulton Broad, can get easily to Beecles (really pleasant) & Norwich (haven't been there). The Southern Broads/rivers are bigger/emptier but not very pretty. Going through Yarmouth to the Northern Broads/rivers you have to be careful with your airdraft re getting through the Yarmouth bridges on the Bure. The northern areas are much prettier, but incredibly crowded - huge hire cruisers and zillions of dayboats. During school holidays moorings anywhere can be a problem after early afternoon. I was at Horning last Saturday/Sunday and even then the village Staithe was full up.

sunquest

Visit site
Yes the southern broads are your only option unless you want to convert your fly bridge to a coupe model:) We go from Chatham roughly every two years to visit our friends boat at Brundall usually overnighting at Woolverstone cos its free for me, but Shotley would be more practical. We enter the Broads at Gt Yarmouth as there is only one road bridge to enter Breydon Water and depending on air draft Breydon Bridge opens in conjunction with the road bridge. 24 hours notice is required and it is also free as against around 10 pounds for the lock into Oulton Broad. A not to miss is the powerboat racing on Oulton Broad on a Thursday evening assuming it will still be on. Enjoy it ,it is very relaxing pootling along at tickover or one engine if exceeding the speed limit. he patrols are active and don’t forget you need a licence! Geoff

Newbroom

Visit site
Chris
Went up there this year with a 39ft Broom. Easy access either at Lowestoft or Great Yarmouth. Personally I found it a bit boring.
Picked a friends Broom up for them and left Brundall on Wed Morning and was back in Windsor 3 o clock Friday.
Shotley is a good stop to overnight and then leave with the right tides to get back up the Thames or in your case RCC.
Was told that you can get through to the Northern broads at low water springs but are stuck then till the next LWS.
Dave

Visit site
Chris,

Southern Broads not a big problem. Apart from Reedham Railway swing bridge, which is prone to sticking shut in hot weather. As for the Northern Broads, I think Acle Bridge may be your problem ( even with everything folded) if you are able to pass under then you will reach as far as Ludham. This you will not pass under. Northern is nicer, but busier, we tended to go up early September.
These are the downsides. But on the brighter side, you have a decent tender, so why not 'hole up, as far up as you are able and do a few day trips. Moor at Brundall and the train will take you into Norwich. This is what I would do in your situation and, with 3 weeks, explore some of the East coast rivers along the way.
I know Alan on Nikisuda (SYC) has been up, as we met at Potter Heigham, but has a Broom Europeon. May be worth a chat in passing though, as regards heights etc...

Visit site
As said above you can enter by Lowestoft which involves two bridges, one of which only opens at set times a couple of hours apart and a lock plus a tenner or so or via Gt Yarmouth with two bridges which open at booked times f.o.c. Air drafts are in the top link of rubberduck's post, you may get through the Breydon bridge without it lifting but it really doesn't matter as the system is very smooth running.
You will not be able to enter the Bure so the Northern broads are out I'm afraid. There is no speed limit on Breydon Water which is where the Brundall Motor Boat Squadron go to clear the clag from their exhaust systems.
Beyond that you are clear up the Yare certainly to the outskirts of Norwich with just Reedham swing bridge in the way - but that is not a problem either. You'd get up the Waveney from Breydon to St Olaves bridge but not beyond but probably wouldn't want to - there's nothing much to see on that stretch. Rather from just below Reedham you'd take the New Cut (it's 150yrs old) under Haddiscoe bridge (7m) and come into the Waveney just above St Olaves and are then clear to oulton Broad via Somerleyton swing bridge (a twin to Reedham's) and to Beccles where the new bridge stops you just below the town, a 15min walk into the centre and a Morrisons 5 mins walk away. The Big Dog Ferry - an old tin ship's lifeboat - will take you from Beccles to the head of navigation up the prettiest stretch of water in the entire Broads system (imho) with expert commentary on the wildlife - arriving at one of the most iconic pubs in the land, the Locks Inn which is half a mile from the nearest tarmac and has no mains electricity.
Brundall, near Norwich is where Brooms are built and home to dozens of huge mobos. Railway station right by the moorings.
Numerous free moorings on the rivers with I think max 24hr occupancy but I doubt anyone cares much out of peak season. As mentioned above speeds are monitored by frequent patrols. There are a number of riverside pubs on the Yare, just one or two on the Waveney, a couple (not very exciting) on Oulton Broad. Norwich is a great city, Yarmouth is well worth exploring (it has the original Nelson's Column) and some fine architecture to balance the ghastly crud on the seafront. Lowestoft is a dump bar the RNSYC which is a little haven of good old fashioned hospitality. All these rivers are tidal and depths are ample, it's the tide direction that might be important, depths are seldom less than 3m and often much more. Details on the Broads Authority website.
Don't miss Southwold en route either. It's a great nightstop.
Come along and enjoy it, it's really beautiful, peaceful and different.

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
We visited the Broads North and South this year, but our air draft with the mast removed was only about 9 ft. Going into the Bure at LWS was no problem. Coming out again at LWN a week or so later was interesting only about 3-6in clearance and a brisk ebb under us. Transit at Slack water is advised, but we were told the tide would be higher by then.

Little to add to NfN's post above, except that Burgh Castle on the lower Waveney is well worth a visit if you have an interest in history. The well preserved Roman Fortress is spectacular and the walk there is lovely on a fine day.

Agree about Lowestoft, but if you should spend time there - weather bound perhaps? - it is worth walking to the Maritime museum, crammed with interesting stuff relating to the history of the port. Nearby is the Most Eastern Diner on the seafront which is the best "greasy spoon" type eatery we have ever visited.