Norfolk broads air draft

ROBMH

Visit site
Hi Norfolk people,

A friend of mine is possibly looking at taking his boat to the broads. What is the max air draft of a boat to be able to get to wroxham/horning?
I know working the tides would give more scope but would like to be as unrestricted as possible.
Thanks in advance
Rob

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Hi Norfolk people,

A friend of mine is possibly looking at taking his boat to the broads. What is the max air draft of a boat to be able to get to wroxham/horning?
I know working the tides would give more scope but would like to be as unrestricted as possible.
Thanks in advance
Rob

Don't think of the tidal height making a huge difference, there's not a range to speak of on the upper reaches...

Visit site
Under 3m is the answer, fixed bridge at mouth of the Bure at Yarmouth - though a multitude of Broads guides are readily available with this and vast amounts more info on that internet thingy...
With several very low bridges on the northern broads tidal range is often critical - the bridge pilots (yes! Bridge Pilots in some places- mainly for hire boats) count usable clearances as 3 or 4 cm apparently and the slope of the water surface varies by that sort of amount as you pass through the bridge! Motorboats lose windscreens, antennae, radars, "masts" etc every week and some get proper stuck too.
Sailing boats will need a lowerable mast.
His Broads Authority visitor's permit may require a wallet crane too.
The passage up the Bure, certainly the first few hours require patience; it is terminally boring down between high banks with nothing whatsoever to see.
Wroxham is, imho, a ghastly tourist trap and utterly jam-packed with hire-boats causing mayhem wherever they go, standards of "driving" have to be seen to be believed. Horning is prettier but still hideously busy in season.
There are many beautiful stretches of water up there though but try to avoid high season, it gets very crowded compared to the far larger, less busy and largely bridge-free rivers beyond Breydon.

Last edited: