Nore Race 2019

escapism

Visit site
A word of thanks to all those who organised the race this year, worked on the safety boats and at the pierhead. Despite not covering ourselves in glory, we enjoyed it tremendously. As a purely cruising yacht it was great to pit ourselves against similar others. Apparently the number of entrants is gradually declining from the times when Pathe News used to cover it, but some people this year are treating it as a precursor to the RTIR. As it is guaranteed to provide a test on all points of sailing perhaps it has scope to increase the yacht entry. Can't speak for the dinghys , only saw them while they sped by on their second circuit.

ninjod

Visit site
I would like to join you in thanking those involved in the organizing. The Nore holds a special place for me, it was the first race I did as a very young man when my father loaned me his Centaur and, it is now the first race I’ve completed (with my father) in my new trimaran.

As for declining racing numbers, that’s a common story everywhere except in the Solent.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
At home I have a trophy from about 1991/2 for 2nd or 3rd in the Nore Race... I sailed a Prindle 19 cat in those days, and as I recall, we finished in about 2 hours. However we had to sit on a bank just past the pier for a couple of hours for the tide to come in enough to get back to Thorpe Bay YC to recover...