Non-self-tailing Barient 17 and 23 winches: barrel removal.

NealB

Visit site
I'm working through a long maintenance list, after 3 years ashore, neglected.

How do I remove the winch barrels, please?

I've previously had Lewmar winches, and it was dead easy: remove the circlip round the hole for the winch handle, then lift and separate.

I'm sure it must be equally easy with Barients ........ but they've currently got me flummoxed.

NealB

Visit site
Thanks for that.

I tried that yesterday, but obviously wasn't persistent enough in finding a way to stop the drum turning as the Allen key turns: I assumed I must be missing something simpler!

blush2

Visit site
Thanks for that.

I tried that yesterday, but obviously wasn't persistent enough in finding a way to stop the drum turning as the Allen key turns: I assumed I must be missing something simpler!
Our Harkens have a screw, I make off a short rope on a convenient cleat, wind it round the drum several times and put it on the self-tailer. Winch it tight with the handle, remove the handle and you should be able to remove the screw.

NealB

Visit site
Our Harkens have a screw, I make off a short rope on a convenient cleat, wind it round the drum several times and put it on the self-tailer. Winch it tight with the handle, remove the handle and you should be able to remove the screw.

Thanks ...... I used a rather similar system. (y)