Non-fitted echo sounder

Visit site
I'm likely to be wandering about in a sort-of-traditional type of boat, and there is - and will be - no provision for a through-hull transducer. There is a traditional lead'n line, but that's not my idea of fun.....

Can anyone recommend a 'hand-held' arrangement, or something fitted into the end of a plastic tube, or somesuch?

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Visit site
Doh!

google_bart.gif

Thanks, guys.

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Is that like the Lower Clyde Left-Handed Duntocher Ham Hitch and Two Half Whatsits?

[/ QUOTE ]Well spotted! It's topologically identical but, as you no doubt know, the LCLHDHHTHW is tied using one hand (or foot) using a double backward flip of the wrist (or ankle) while holding the standing part with your teeth.

Does the "traditional" boat have a wooden or GRP hull? If GRP then you can mount a transducer inside the hull in an oil filled tube or on a bed of sealer or filler.

Visit site
Ah! Shades of my yooth padding around the Etive Slabs in Empire-Made baseball boots, when PA's were something only read about in an article by Exiguous Bonnington, in a 'borrowed' copy of the Alpine Club Journal, and never seen in the wild. .....Stiff, 'jaggy' nylon 1" laid ropes, alpenstocks and reamed-out wheel nuts on slings. HVS leads on gabbro in Tuf boots....

Nostalgia! Speaking of which, where's that ol' scrote Jimi?

As for the traditional-built boat, that's larch on oak, with oil lamps. As they used to say in Ra Calton, "Dead Ethnic!"

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Visit site
I've also got a superceded but serviceable 2182KHz liferaft radio that would keep someone busy - and warm - winding the handle. I don't know how to get GWR FM on it, though!

As for the traditional ways, I'm quite intrigued. They worked fine for centuries.... As for *needing* GPS, while I agree it's handy, that's not one of the essentials IMHO. Far more important is the 'observational art'.

Again IMHO, navigation does not take place on the chart table. It happens - or not - between the ears.

'Lead, log and lookout....'

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif