no more upside down UK plugs in my European 240v outlets

Mikehp0

Visit site
My Prestige 38s 'Zen Dog' still has the original European 240v sockets. I gather new Jeanneau boats are similarly equipped.

Normal Europe>UK travel adaptors result in the need to plug everything in upside down precluding the use of things like plug-in air fresheners.

One day, I'll change the sockets but until then I'm using these £5 adaptors that I discovered in my local B & M Homestores branch.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/eveready-european-travel-adaptor-with-usb-ports-321755

They plug into my European sockets and allow a UK plug to fit in the right way up. The USB charge sockets are a bonus.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

maby

Visit site
I have something similar, but I find that they are not always very successful. The problem is that the cable comes out of a European socket at right angles to the wall, but it comes out of a UK 13A socket parallel to the wall. On our Bavaria, many of the sockets are mounted so close to the floor or shelf that the only way it is possible to plug in is "upside down".

Assassin

Visit site
My Prestige 38s 'Zen Dog' still has the original European 240v sockets. I gather new Jeanneau boats are similarly equipped.

Normal Europe>UK travel adaptors result in the need to plug everything in upside down precluding the use of things like plug-in air fresheners.

One day, I'll change the sockets but until then I'm using these £5 adaptors that I discovered in my local B & M Homestores branch.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/eveready-european-travel-adaptor-with-usb-ports-321755

They plug into my European sockets and allow a UK plug to fit in the right way up. The USB charge sockets are a bonus.

Hope this helps someone!

Don't trust the USB ports if you are charging equipment with them.

kennyh

Visit site
There is always a bit of doubt as to the quality of the 5v power supply that is built into sockets such as those. If they get it wrong, they can shoot a damagingly high voltage into your £1000 smartphone!

I would have thought branded ones, such as from Eveready, would be of reasonable quality - I suppose you can’t really tell until someone sticks it on a bench tester.

Besides, I’m on the road a lot and I stick my phone charger cable into anything that looks slightly rectangular! No problems so far, apart from the odd disappointment when they are dead sockets.

Mikehp0

Visit site
I would have thought branded ones, such as from Eveready, would be of reasonable quality - I suppose you can’t really tell until someone sticks it on a bench tester.

Besides, I’m on the road a lot and I stick my phone charger cable into anything that looks slightly rectangular! No problems so far, apart from the odd disappointment when they are dead sockets.

A bit of searching reveals that according to Wikipedia this product is probably from Eveready Industries India Ltd. (EIIL), formerly Union Carbide India Limited - a name many of us may remember.

wallacebob

Visit site
I had similar issues with my German caravan: fitting new plugs to small appliances was best solution. If laptop, tv or radio has plug in lead, then Euro plug ones are easily available. Mozzy plug ins from Lidl in Spain are very good.

maby

Visit site
I had similar issues with my German caravan: fitting new plugs to small appliances was best solution. If laptop, tv or radio has plug in lead, then Euro plug ones are easily available. Mozzy plug ins from Lidl in Spain are very good.

A great deal depends on pattern of usage - we spend a lot of time on the boat, but also have to return to the house quite frequently. Many of our electrical and electronic items move between the two locations - computers and associated preipherals, phones, tablets, etc. etc. It's just a pain to have versions of the cables for both socket types - easier to have the majority of sockets converted to 13A.

In practice, no boat manufacturer ever provides enough sockets for our needs - irrespective of socket type. I have been going through a process of installing additional sockets around the boat and all the new ones are UK 13A style. I shall also selectively convert some of the Schuko sockets to 13A, but will leave others with adaptors in them at least for now.