NMEA 2000 speed versus Chart Plotter info refresh rate

alandw

Visit site
I have been trying to upgrade my existing nav set up to N2k. Installed a backbone which is connected to a Simrad NSS8 display via the N2k port . One of the devices I want to connect is an Airrmar H2183 heading compass, which outputs in both NMEA 0183 and N2K format. I already had a play with this compass ( on NMEA 0183) via the Airmar Weather Caster software, and on the 10Hz update rate the heading changes smoothly and quickly in conjunction with any compass movement., The default update rate for N2K is also 10Hz.

But when connected to the N2k backbone, the heading info displayed on the NSS jerks along at about 1Hz! It is as if the NSS is ignoring 9 bits of info out of every 10 and just updating the info on the screen 1x per second. Is this normal? A limitation of the update rate of the display?
I thought the whole point of N2k was the increase of data transfer speed. Would a more modern chart plotter refresh the information more quickly ? If you can have a 10Hz GPS for more accurate positioning on your plotter, surely it can update all info at that rate?

Very confusing!