Nitrile fuel hose and Ethanol - Which hose.

Mark-1

Visit site
My current fuel hose for my external outboard fuel is nitrile (I think!). It's lovely: Thin, flexible and coils tight for storage. (Thin walls: Internal diameter 8mm, external 11.5mm.)

(There were downsides!)

Now Esso ceased ethanol free petrol I think I need a more ethanol resistant hose and that is proving a nightmare. Current fuel hoses seem to be the kind of hose I'm more used to seeing running to the trailer of an artic. 8mm ID fuel hose seems to be a whopping 15mm OD and very stiff.

Am I missing something? Can I get away with Nitrile hose with E5 fuel (and perhaps the occasional dose of E10)? Is there a source of thin flexible fuel lines that stand up to ethanol that google is hiding from me?

Mankind seems to be moving backwards. First Concorde went. Then light bulbs that actually emitted light went. Now petrol is 10pc water and fuel lines are made out of firehose. 😡

This is the stuff I'd like to buy but it says suitable for E10 but not E5 which sets alarm bells ringing in my head:
Nitrile Smooth Rubber Fuel Unleaded E10 Petrol Diesel Oil Line Hose Pipe Tubing | eBay

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Search Amazon for outboard gasoline hose. It will all be ethanol rated. Very common.

Inboard and outboard standards are different. You are probably searching for the wrong product. Yes, E10-proof should do. You do NOT want to use nitrile; it will shed rubber bits into the carb. We've been using e10 in the US since 1985, and that is when alcohol-proof hoses became required (as did failures of nitrile hose.)

Mark-1

Visit site
Search Amazon for outboard gasoline hose. It will all be ethanol rated. Very common.

Inboard and outboard standards are different. You are probably searching for the wrong product. Yes, E10-proof should do. You do NOT want to use nitrile; it will shed rubber bits into the carb. We've been using e10 in the US since 1985, and that is when alcohol-proof hoses became required (as did failures of nitrile hose.)

Thanks.

Actually, I'd seen the below and discounted it because it's 13mm but if it's a little more flexible it would be ok. worth a punt. (My local F4 don't stock it so I couldn't look when I popped in earlier.)

Force 4 Outboard Motor Fuel Hose 8mm Black

EDIT: In fact 13mm isn't outrageous if my 11.5mm measurement were to be interpreted as 12mm due to my clumsy caliper use.

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
My current fuel hose for my external outboard fuel is nitrile (I think!). It's lovely: Thin, flexible and coils tight for storage. (Thin walls: Internal diameter 8mm, external 11.5mm.)

(There were downsides!)

Now Esso ceased ethanol free petrol I think I need a more ethanol resistant hose and that is proving a nightmare. Current fuel hoses seem to be the kind of hose I'm more used to seeing running to the trailer of an artic. 8mm ID fuel hose seems to be a whopping 15mm OD and very stiff.

Am I missing something? Can I get away with Nitrile hose with E5 fuel (and perhaps the occasional dose of E10)? Is there a source of thin flexible fuel lines that stand up to ethanol that google is hiding from me?

Mankind seems to be moving backwards. First Concorde went. Then light bulbs that actually emitted light went. Now petrol is 10pc water and fuel lines are made out of firehose. 😡

This is the stuff I'd like to buy but it says suitable for E10 but not E5 which sets alarm bells ringing in my head:
Nitrile Smooth Rubber Fuel Unleaded E10 Petrol Diesel Oil Line Hose Pipe Tubing | eBay
My understanding is that if a hose is suitable for E10 it is suitable for E5. Hose suitable for E5 is not suitable for E10.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
In the US SAE J1527 hoses are required for inboard use. The difference between these and outboard hoses is fire resistance, which explains the thickness the OP reported. Outboards have a different standard that does not require the flame resistance test and carries a lower pressure requirement (outboard hoses are under light vacuum).

1710009223331.png