night boating

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
I do quite a bit of night boating one way or another due to either teaching or deliverers.
We used to always see constrained by draft vessel at night at least one but often 2 or 3 and some fishing boats ,tugs and pilot boats. In the last 18 months they seem to have almost disappeared but I am glad to say on recent night boating we have seen a few reappearing.
So why the post,you know there is a question comeing !!

How much night boating do you do?

If you do any night boating have you seen a difference?

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
When we were based in The Wash, we used to do a lot of night boating. Many trips would be dark either going out or coming back in.

Since moving to Shotley (Suffolk), not done so many. The few that we h ave done haven't been more than short trips, mostly just coming back the last part of a trip in the dark as we've run out of daylight.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
My insurance precludes me from night passages when solo & the family like to snuggle in bed before dark, so I tend not to plan overnighters. We still do short runs for home when tide constrained & not trusting the weather to hold for overnight anchoring. Not much shipping in the shallow waters we normally frequent.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
I love sailing through the night, We often start trips on dusk as this avoids the heat of the day here in the tropics.

Some nights the phosphorus activity off the rudders is amazing to watch.

I have also notices guests on board seem more relaxed, nothing to see outside but the moon and stars and the odd light on another boat in the distance.

I also like the quiet on deck after most head to a bunk, no one asking what does this or that do, or the most common question "when will we get there" or "how far/long before we get there".

We also aim to return to port in the dark, arriving about 0700 hours.

Night sailing, I love it, and people wonder why I sail 24/7 on deliveries and take most of the night stints.

LittleShip

Visit site
Over the years I have done hundreds of hrs at night and until recently I always enjoyed it.

The stars at night and the peace was wonderful. That said In the past couple of years have decided that the risk with pots and flotsam has become too much, I only cruise at night if absolutely necessary.

Last year i came through the Swellies in the dead of night after a 12 hour crossing from IOM.... something I never want to do again.

I havent noticed any increase in traffic in my cruising ground as we always have ferries in and out of Liverpool etc.

Tom

whisper

Visit site
I do quite a bit of night boating one way or another due to either teaching or deliverers.
We used to always see constrained by draft vessel at night at least one but often 2 or 3 and some fishing boats ,tugs and pilot boats. In the last 18 months they seem to have almost disappeared but I am glad to say on recent night boating we have seen a few reappearing.
So why the post,you know there is a question comeing !!

How much night boating do you do?

If you do any night boating have you seen a difference?

I no longer do night passages along S.Devon coast due to fear of catching a lobster pot - has happened to me twice in daylight!!
Regularly run up and down estuary at night though .

Robin

Visit site
Sailing at night becomes a routine if you cruise any distance at yacht speeds rather than whizzbang speeds. Personally I really love night sailing, especially on crystal clear nights with the phosphorescence streaming behind, or sailing down a moonbeam. Even saw a moonbow as couple of times, a rainbow by moonlight. Crossing shipping is easier too at night because the lights tell a better story than the vague silhouette outline does, especially with some ships now with front bridges that really look like they are going the opposite way when seen from a distance.

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Have to say night cruising doesnt hold much facination for me I mean its dark innit, whereas during the day we have brilliant sunshine, you can see everything including dolphins, etc, no night cruising I find boring, except when we are doing the night hours on the school training.

alt

Visit site
I do a lot of night-time nav for fun. Maybe 10% of overall engine hours per season. However, tend to do it at 5knots and only in flat calm conditions

AndieMac

Visit site
I think it's a good idea for boaters to become confident in night passages/manoeuvring just in case an issue arises.
It could be this issue that keeps many firmly secured in marinas and not wanting to 'anchor out', in case they have to relocate.
Hitting 'something' seems to weigh the heaviest on the mind, naturally.

Renegade_Master

Visit site
5knots and only in flat calm conditions in the dark

Alt you do this for fun? might as well get a sailing yacht

I cant see it being fun I mean, sunshine, some speed, and some waves = fun
IMHO

alt

Visit site
5knots and only in flat calm conditions in the dark

Alt you do this for fun? might as well get a sailing yacht

I cant see it being fun I mean, sunshine, some speed, and some waves = fun
IMHO

We do the sunshine/speed/waves for fun. But we also do the flat calm/gazing at the starts/cruising along at night for fun too. It's all FUN FUN FUN!! :)

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
I no longer do night passages along S.Devon coast due to fear of catching a lobster pot - has happened to me twice in daylight!!
Regularly run up and down estuary at night though .

If you are shaft drive would installation of "rope" cutters help?

PS: We often cruise well after dark, dropping the hook in favourite anchorages regularly after mid night.

BartW

www.amptec.be
I remember one occasion, many years ago, with my first GRP boat (21ft),
our dinner in Zierikzee, Oosterschelde Holland
took some more time then expeceted, so we had to sail in the dark to Stavenisse where the car and trailer was.
No Radar, no plotter no VHF,
just a map, compas and a depth sounder;
can assure it was scary when we saw a un-lighted boy passing, at 0,5m from the boat.
but we made it, at slow speed, without trouble, to our destination, luckyly.
It was a good exercice :)

Saling at night In croatia, coming from a restaurant back to our home base, with family or friends is very nice.
I alway's have the impression that the sound from the spray at night is different then during the day, yes I know that this is impossible,
perhaps it has to with the silence on the boat at night,
it's so intriguing that everybody is quite.

andy59

Visit site
Aahh , night boating , love it . The adrenaline rush of seeing the last firework at cowes and heading home with the other 100 or so boats in the pitch dark :eek: , seeing white nav lights passing on both sides at 30 odd knots :eek::eek::eek: . Did we go again ???:rolleyes: ..yep .

AndieMac

Visit site
Saling at night In croatia, coming from a restaurant back to our home base, with family or friends is very nice.
I alway's have the impression that the sound from the spray at night is different then during the day, yes I know that this is impossible,
perhaps it has to with the silence on the boat at night,
it's so intriguing that everybody is quite.

Maybe ones senses are more alert at night, like feeling your way down a dark hallway at home in the middle of the night.

Of course if the calm night passage turns into an unexpected storm and you are just waiting to 'feel' how big the next wave is going to be (because you can't see it), and will it take out the wheel-house windows.......things aren't quite so warm and fuzzy anymore ;)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Of course if the calm night passage turns into an unexpected storm and you are just waiting to 'feel' how big the next wave is going to be (because you can't see it), and will it take out the wheel-house windows.......things aren't quite so warm and fuzzy anymore ;)

oh yes,
and now I remember that night when we sailed back to Cavtat, when we had a very strong head wind,
despite all the blanckets, and extra coats, all of them on the stern bench where completely whet. brrrrr,
but again, nice story's to tell our friends back home :)

AndieMac

Visit site
oh yes,
and now I remember that night when we sailed back to Cavtat, when we had a very strong head wind,
despite all the blanckets, and extra coats, all of them on the stern bench where completely whet. brrrrr,
but again, nice story's to tell our friends back home :)

Mere memories once the big Candos 70 arrives.........:)