Nigerian 419 Scam

Amandaboat

Visit site
To us all,

Just been surfing the net and came across this little gem! We do a little bit of boat brokerage - small boats, nothing massive and we have had a few contacts from a few people we have thought to be a bit on the shady side.

Anyone come across this 419 scam as a boat broker before?

Nigerian 419 Scam

Let’s fight this together!

Amanda

l'escargot

Visit site
There are warnings about it on a lot of the internet brokers sites, it's been going on for years. Same as ebay and car sites. I got one last week for a boat I am selling. There is nothing to fight - just don't fall for it.

l'escargot

Visit site
Used to do it myself a few years ago. It is too time consuming now as the scammers are getting wise to it. It was much more fun when they were less sophisticated and fell for the daftest things from the start. You have to really hunt out a stupid one now to get very far.

oldharry

Visit site
Thats way behind the times in its advice. The full scam is that overseas buyer sends extra money with the payment so that you can pay his 'agent' to collect and deliver or transport the boat - maybe several thousand pounds for a larger craft.

The result is even worse, you not only lost your boat/ car/ aeroplane or whatever, but also the agents 'fee' .

Its high time the Banks closed that particular loophole - a lot of people have lost a lot of money over the years.

Even cash deals are suspect nowadays - particularly in the second hand car market. Take your buyer to the local ATM, he 'draws' the money and pays you, you sign away your car and he drives off. Only later do you find he has paid with forged money.