Nicholson 30 ca. 1975

BoatlessinOslo

Visit site
Is this the Ron Holland design (coach roof curves gently up from the deck) that had some problems during the 79 Fastnet race?

Where can I find out more?

TIA

JK

<hr width=100% size=1>Why's that smoke coming out the hatch ?

warrior40

Visit site
YES, that is definately the one, Ron Holland designed it, ring Richard Seymour at Kings Yacht agency, or see his website, www. kingsyacht.co.uk, he knows all the info.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
If memory serves (and it may not) the half ton Holland 30 footer was called the 303 and had that number graphicked onto the coachroof sides just forward of the companion.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

mark_c

Visit site
The Nic 30 of 1973/4/5 was a Ian Wallis design. I've got one and I think it's the one you are talking about. Has it got a wrap round window at the front of the coach roof?This boat was a cruiser racer with a fully fitted interior. In the late 70 Nic did a more stripped out 30 which was a more pure 1/2 tonner. I don't know who designed it.
I think the Nic you are referring to that had problems in the Fastnet was Grimillkan a Nic 303or 345 I'm not sure which. I think these were the Ron Holland designs.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jono3

Visit site
Grimalkin was a Nich 303 1/2 tonner designed by Ron Holland - she was closely related to the Silver Jubilee 1/2 tonner designed for the Queens Jubilee in 1977. She was fast in her day and suffered in the 1979 Fastnet for being in the wrong place at the wrong time - close to where many of the OOD 34's were over the labadie bank at the height of the storm

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Which boat didn't have problems in the '79 Fastnet?

CO32s had a bad time of it too, but were the standard (in stability terms) by which future designs were developed. They are still seen as a seaworthy choice. So I would say that having a bad time in the '79 Fastnet does not in itself mean the boat is not seaworthy.

From what I have seen of Nic 30's they are good boats and have a good reputation.. no direct experience of one tho'.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BoatlessinOslo

Visit site
Thanks everyone. It's the C&N 'in house' (Ian Wallace?) design with the wrap-round window at the front of the coach roof.

What does the team think about a price of 14,000 GBP for this type of boat in reasonable-good condition?

<hr width=100% size=1>Why's that smoke coming out the hatch ?

mark_c

Visit site
As I've got one I'm a bit biased. The price depends on what sort of engine is in it, the sail wardrobe and equipment fitted. I'd suggest that a price guideline of £13,000 to £20,000 depending on the above.
Mine was fitted with a Volvo MD1 which I removed and put in a Yanmar 1GM10. This is likely to be your main expense.
Has it got a separate,draining gas bottle locker? if not you'll probably have to make one as a condition of any survey you get.
Over the last 3 years I've extensively refitted my boat and can say that they are true Nics, ie strong, quality built boats.
And above all else it sails beautifully and quickly

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
If I remember the book rightly, Grimalkin was still sound and afloat at the end of it all - one of the cited examples where getting into the lifeboat is not neceesarily the right thing to do.

Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>