NHS?

ean_p

Visit site
Good luck with finding a boat to live on if you intend to pay "plenty of tax". A perusal of this sub-forum will show that moorings you can use as a legitimate address (ie one you can have your self assessment reminders sent to) are hard to come by. Most UK liveaboards I know have an "official" address (relatives/friends) elsewhere in the UK. Regardless of the "official" line on signing up for doctors, getting past the dragons on reception without proof of address is another thing (again, we've discussed this one before, including my own experiences of trying to sign up with a doctor).

As someone who has been on the waiting list for a residential mooring at South Dock for the past 13 years and last time I checked I should bubble to the top in about 250 years, your easiest route to a residential mooring in a marina which has them is to buy a boat already on a residential mooring (which will not normally be sea-going).

Are you intending to actually move to the UK and use it as a permanent address while you work or simply as a part-time "address of convenience"? If the former I suggest you have more offialdom to worry about than doctors
many of the marinas (including the coastal ones) run by Aquavista (formally BWML and British waterways) allow full residential berthing complete with Council tax etc etc....

laika

Visit site
many of the marinas (including the coastal ones) run by Aquavista (formally BWML and British waterways) allow full residential berthing complete with Council tax etc etc....

I put my name on the waiting list for a residential mooring at Limehouse in 2007. I think it was a similar deal to South Dock: Moorings got transferred when boats were sold and rarely came up on their own. Then again, unlike south dock (where I know there is A List and that I'm on it) it could have been that the woman who took my details then just discarded them, or they chucked away the list at some point.

Perhaps residential moorings are easier to come by in their sea-connected marinas in places like Lancashire than they are in the south.

Laser310

Visit site
Thanks for the information.

It seems it might not be easy to live aboard in Britain.

Anyway, with lockdown apparently continuing for the time being, I am not in much of a hurry to return.

Other threads that may be of interest