NHS Treatment Restrictions

Tony Cross

Visit site
Understand what you're saying but - say you arrive at Calais and have your passport stamped then drive down to Spain where you have residence, for 6 months. When arriving back at French immigration on exit, you appear to have overstayed by 3 months so, what happens?

Maybe we'll have our passports stamped "residence in *******" which could explain the overstay but, who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.
Good point. I would suggest that on arrival in Spain you protect yourself by voluntarily visiting an appropriate immigration authority to have your Schengen visa suspended whilst in Spain. On leaving Spain you'd have to do the reverse.

I agree that a pain in the rear end but it's one of the many consequences of Brexit I fear.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Good point. I would suggest that on arrival in Spain you protect yourself by voluntarily visiting an appropriate immigration authority to have your Schengen visa suspended whilst in Spain. On leaving Spain you'd have to do the reverse. I agree that a pain in the rear end but it's one of the many consequences of Brexit I fear.

As there are so many expats in nearby countries who travel overland, I think it's something which will have to be sorted out for us beforehand so no need to worry. For those who fly out such as ourselves where arrival and departure airports are in our country of residence then there won't be any problem, we'll maybe just have to show residence document at passport control. The media seem to focus on difficulty agreeing trade deals but there are countless other areas to sort and I wonder how it's supposed to be completed with a year. I think we'll be kept guessing for a long time yet.

nortada

Visit site
As there are so many expats in nearby countries who travel overland, I think it's something which will have to be sorted out for us beforehand so no need to worry. For those who fly out such as ourselves where arrival and departure airports are in our country of residence then there won't be any problem, we'll maybe just have to show residence document at passport control. The media seem to focus on difficulty agreeing trade deals but there are countless other areas to sort and I wonder how it's supposed to be completed with a year. I think we'll be kept guessing for a long time yet.

Agree.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I'd agree too, but in the meantime I would suggest that expats have to look out for themselves. That's is why I suggested visiting the authorities in your country of residence on arrival overland to ensure for yourself that the Schengen 90/180 (if that's what comes about) is paused. I think in the short term we expats have to look after ourselves as best we can and not rely on governments to do that for us.

nortada

Visit site
I'd agree too, but in the meantime I would suggest that expats have to look out for themselves. That's is why I suggested visiting the authorities in your country of residence on arrival overland to ensure for yourself that the Schengen 90/180 (if that's what comes about) is paused. I think in the short term we expats have to look after ourselves as best we can and not rely on governments to do that for us.

Again, I agree all of this but from experience, most long stay British visitors and Brit expats have learned (in some cases the hard way) that relying on any government (UK or otherwise) is fraught with risk so they are pretty adept at looking after their best interests.

Nevertheless, this is a good and timely reminder.

I never arrive in Portugal overland, nevertheless, for those who do, I agree it could be sound advice to establish your presence and hopefully pause, your Schengen entitlement.

Of course, this assumes that days spent in your country of residence will not continue to count against your 90/180 days Schengen entitlement. which is by no means clear.

In the worst case, I could fly into Faro, stay in on the boat in Portugal for 80+ days and thereby exhaust my Schengen entitlement and then, theoretically, not be allowed to visit the family house in Ayamonte (Spain).

Two points, how would I establish my presence in Portugal (boarding pass maybe) and as there are no boarder controls between Portugal and Spain, how would anybody ever know what I time I have done in either country?

Probably, all rather too difficult for the average Portuguese or Spanish official, who, unless they are antagonized, would rather avoid the whole issue. Can't guess the attitude of the officials in other EU countries.

Possibly I should qualify my use of long stay British visitor.

For me a long stay British visitor is somebody whose length of stay legally requires them to register in that country. May be 1 month, usually 3 months,

As in some other EU countries, registration automatically gives 5 year temporary residency. The difference between a long stay British visitor and a Brit expat is a long stay British visitor will have an interest in both countries and will have taken steps to maintain their status as an ordinary British resident but a British expat will have relinquished all ties with the UK and possibly fore-fitted a number privileges, for example, free NHS care, voting in the UK etc.

Must admit, I see little reason to become an expat if you can remain a long stay visitor.

When addressing the future, post Brexit, I always consider my position as a long stay visitor but ordinary resident over that of the expat.

Last edited:

Davy_S

Visit site
Greek Parliament votes on bill to protect rights of British citizens after Brexit

A bill was brought into Greek Parliament to protect the residence status and rights of current and future British citizens of Greece on Friday.

Greece’s Alternate Foreign Affairs Minister Miltiades Varvitsiotis brought forth the bill that collates all related legislation to coordinate aspects of Brexit related to Greece, regardless of whether a Brexit agreement is reached with the EU or not.

The bill:

* recognises the residency rights of British citizens and their family members who settled in Greece before the Brexit;
* establishes reciprocal social security and healthcare rates of British citizens in Greece;
* recognises British driving licenses;
* sets the provisions for the establishment and operation of tourism providers in Greece which are registered in the UK.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Greek Parliament votes on bill to protect rights of British citizens after Brexit

A bill was brought into Greek Parliament to protect the residence status and rights of current and future British citizens of Greece on Friday.

Greece’s Alternate Foreign Affairs Minister Miltiades Varvitsiotis brought forth the bill that collates all related legislation to coordinate aspects of Brexit related to Greece, regardless of whether a Brexit agreement is reached with the EU or not.

The bill:

* recognises the residency rights of British citizens and their family members who settled in Greece before the Brexit;
* establishes reciprocal social security and healthcare rates of British citizens in Greece;
* recognises British driving licenses;
* sets the provisions for the establishment and operation of tourism providers in Greece which are registered in the UK.
And since the UK government's Brexit website for Greece at Living in Greece already says that...

The UK has offered to continue paying the country you live in for your healthcare in the event of no deal, just as it does now. The government has proposed maintaining current healthcare cooperation with Greece for S1 form holders until the end of December 2020. If there’s no deal, and there is no arrangement with Greece to continue reciprocal healthcare, those receiving coverage through the S1 form will not be covered.

Your EHIC may not be valid if there’s no deal. The UK has offered to maintain the EHIC scheme if there’s no deal, however this is reliant on Greece continuing to accept UK EHICs.

...it's pretty clear that in Greece at least life will go on as normal post-Brexit. I'm pretty sure most other EU countries will follow a similar path.

nortada

Visit site
And since the UK government's Brexit website for Greece at Living in Greece already says that...

...it's pretty clear that in Greece at least life will go on as normal post-Brexit. I'm pretty sure most other EU countries will follow a similar path.

Currently, long stay visitors and expat temporary residents are covered by the medical services in their host country. If the have an S1, the UK picks up the cost of their care; if not, the host country picks up these costs.

This category of residents should not use a UK EHIC (if they have one) in there host country but it is attractive for the host country to turn a blind eye to their status and try to reclaim any costs from the UK. If you visit a Centro de Saúde in Portugal they will want to see your passport, EHIC and if you have one, possibly your Direcção Geral dos Impostos (DGCI) (Fiscal Number) but not your CERTIFICADOS DE REGISTRATO DE CIDADÃOS DA UNIÃO EUROPEIA bit of an anomaly here?

If the UK EHIC is no longer valid post Brexit, Brits with residency should to legally get a EHIC from their host country, for use in other EU countries.

So, provided they remain an ordinary British resident, all bases are covered.

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
Currently, long stay visitors and expat temporary residents are covered by the medical services in their host country. If the have an S1, the UK picks up the cost of their care; if not, the host country picks up these costs.

This category of residents should not use a UK EHIC (if they have one) in there host country but it is attractive for the host country to turn a blind eye to their status and try to reclaim any costs from the UK. If you visit a Centro de Saúde in Portugal they will want to see your passport, EHIC and if you have one, possibly your Direcção Geral dos Impostos (DGCI) (Fiscal Number) but not your CERTIFICADOS DE REGISTRATO DE CIDADÃOS DA UNIÃO EUROPEIA bit of an anomaly here?

If the UK EHIC is no longer valid post Brexit, Brits with residency should to legally get a EHIC from their host country, for use in other EU countries.

So, provided they remain an ordinary British resident, all bases are covered.
Once you have healthcare in another EU country under the S1 scheme (paid for by the NHS) you cannot obtain or use a UK EHIC. You must get an EHIC from your country of residence for use in the rest of the EU.

nortada

Visit site
Once you have healthcare in another EU country under the S1 scheme (paid for by the NHS) you cannot obtain or use a UK EHIC. You must get an EHIC from your country of residence for use in the rest of the EU.

As long stay visitors will not be in the S1 scheme, think this is an expat issue rather than a long stay visitor matter

Whatever, what happens if you arrive in your new country with a UK EHIC, valid for 5 years? If proffered, I bet your new country will accept it and the inter-country refunds will go ahead as usual.

That said, if you have an EHIC issued by the new country, why would you want a UK EHIC?

Tony Cross

Visit site
As long stay visitors will not be in the S1 scheme, think this is an expat issue rather than a long stay visitor matter

Whatever, what happens if you arrive in your new country with a UK EHIC, valid for 5 years? If proffered, I bet your new country will accept it and the inter-country refunds will go ahead as usual.

That said, if you have an EHIC issued by the new country, why would you want a UK EHIC?
I was wrong about the EHIC above. I've just gone back and checked the documents that came with my S1 form. Regarding obtaining an EHIC it says the following...
Entitlement to medical cover whilst visiting other EEA countries
if you intend to visit another EU country (not the UK) you can request an EHIC application form from the Overseas Healthcare team in the UK by telephoning +44 191 2181999
...so S1 users do still get an EHIC from the UK. ?

macd

Visit site

S1 subjects certainly have that right, Tony. Ours are UK-issue. (I think they arrived automatically, but that could just be senile decay.)

I've no doubt you're aware that S1 entitles you to full, free NHS healthcare in the UK to which, as a non-resident, you wouldn't normally be entitled. But perhaps you didn't notice that the S1 paperwork also advises that not everyone in the NHS could be expected to know this and you might wrongly be denied treatment. It therefore recommends that you carry the relevant paperwork with you whenever you visit the UK. Or perhaps just a copy on your phone.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I've no doubt you're aware that S1 entitles you to full, free NHS healthcare in the UK to which, as a non-resident, you wouldn't normally be entitled. But perhaps you didn't notice that the S1 paperwork also advises that not everyone in the NHS could be expected to know this and you might wrongly be denied treatment. It therefore recommends that you carry the relevant paperwork with you whenever you visit the UK. Or perhaps just a copy on your phone.
Thanks for this. There's a big self-help group here so we were well aware of all that before we even applied (a couple of years ago now). I have a copy of the S1 form itself, the health authority here takes the original, and I have copies of all the supporting paperwork too. We have them stored on our phones too just in case. :)

Tinto

Visit site
last week I asked my Consultant about getting meds when leaving abroad and she was quite open about it being feasible. Just have to get my bloods checked every 3 months and results sent back to her, and pop in for a chat once a year.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Problem is, we don't yet know if the UK will continue with EHIC arrangement but, as they are issued by country of residence if you're in the health system, you should be able to obtain one there. Portugal issue them on request when registered with health/social services on production of residence document.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Problem is, we don't yet know if the UK will continue with EHIC arrangement but, as they are issued by country of residence if you're in the health system, you should be able to obtain one there. Portugal issue them on request when registered with health/social services on production of residence document.
As far as Greece is concerned, yes we do...

The UK has offered to maintain the EHIC scheme if there’s no deal, however this is reliant on Greece continuing to accept UK EHICs.

Living in Greece

greeny

Visit site
A lot has been written on here about the rules and regulations.
I have to say that these have rarely been applied verbatim here in Portugal for me.
I got my residence here, went and got a Portuguese EHIC issued card (which covers me for Europe.) Then just don't mention it to anyone in UK and carry on as before. Then when you get to 65 you are entitled to healthcare back in UK anyway. I don't see Brexit will change any of this if you've already got your house in order in the country in which you live.