Next time it could be your boat!

G

In my marina (Crest Nicholson, Penarth) there's a truly wonderful family with five daughters (aged 1 - 10) who for some years now have lived on a 50' converted wooden fishing trawler - big North Sea job from the '30's.

Even though they have always paid the annual mooring fee, and the marina rule permit liveaboards, Crest Nicholson have just told them to clear out and have refused to renew their mooring contract for this year.

It seems the marina management don't like the look of their boat - it upsets the neighbours because it looks like Noah's Ark. It is clean, there's no laundry hanging around / no potted plants and bicycles - and the children are the politest you will ever meet (they've become my daughter's best friends.

So, Crest Nicholson have decided to have some form of beauty contest. If they like your boat, then all is fine. If not, then they give you a two week warning to clear out, despite several years of residence, liveaboard permission, and hence children in school and working families. Bristol Channel isn't the South Coast - there aren't dozens of alternatives. In Cardiff there are NONE. To do this to such a wonderful family - freinds of dozens of boat owners in the marina - seems to me to be a truly despicable act of corporate arrogance.

If this account bothers you, PLEASE email the management of Crest Nicholson and tell them what you think. If enough members of this forum, and other, plus the marina residents complain, MAYBE they will see they are making a HUGE PR gaff.

The family in question:

Vince & Mary Shalom
M/v Pitkin, Penarth Marina

Crest Nicholson Marinas Limited
Parklands, Stoke Gifford, BS12 6QU
c.n.marinas@aboard.com

Help correct an injustice being done to a fellow sailor. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Humperdinck

G

Please send a polite email to the marina company - it's the number of messages which willmake the difference.

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: Any update??

It's a very long story, but the boat was eventually towed out.

If you want a very long read try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bymnews.com/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=Forum&report=Topic&TopicID=0002&firstrecord=0&finalrecord=39>here</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>Me transmitte sursum, caledoni

AndrewB

Visit site
PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE REPLYING!

If you haven't been around this forum for very long, you should know that in the past this has been a highly charged subject, and the subject of a law suit. It is has been clear that there are arguments on both sides, but understanding it was complicated by the way in which Vince Shalom presented his case on this forum. Indeed, quite a few people here eventually came to feel Crest Nicholson were justified, and Vince was eventually banned from airing his case further on the forum.

I would not recommend firing off an email without first looking back over old threads. If you have a lot of time to kill, plough through the link BrendanS gives, but as Vince appears there in a number of alter egos, sometimes answering himself, it is very hard for a newcomer to follow.

mikewilkes

Visit site
Re: Any update??

Brendan just tried following your link but got very baffled as to what was really going on?
Fortunately I am at work and we are in the process of pulling a few anchors so I had a bit of time to browse - but very confusing.
Thanks for providing the link though - it passed away the last few hours of an otherwise dreary night shift.

<hr width=100% size=1>