Next America's Cup

davidhand

Visit site
Next America\'s Cup

If those Swiss Kiwi's win in New Zealand next week, as is very possible where will they defend the cup? Lake Geneva or does it have to be on an arm of the sea? There's no wind in the Med, is there? Where else? I bet you wouldnt want it in the Solent, it would play hell with the already exorbident berth rents there.

G

Re: Next America\'s Cup

A Mediterranean port, which would need a number of assets (suitable weather, space to construct team berthing, government support and lots more). Speculation covers Marseille, Barcelona, Porto Cervo, Genoa + +

Jeremy_W

Visit site

The America's Cup Committee ruled that Lake Geneva is an arm of the sea by accepting Alinghi's entry. Canadian entries from the Great Lakes were accepted in the Nineteenth Century on the basis that the St Lawrence Seaway made those lakes "arms of the sea". That was in the days when challengers had to make their way to the contest under their own keel.

davidhand

Visit site

Since making my first post I have read that the Swiss will probably defend (if they win) on the Med. or the Atlantic coast of Europe. Their acceptance was based on their holding an annual regata on an "arm of the sea".
Lake Ontario is considered "an arm of the Sea" the other lakes are not as you have to use a canal between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, Niagara Falls is in the way.
The phrase "arm of the sea" was included somewhat spitefully by the New York Y.C. to keep out their arch rival the Chicago Y.C.

Viking

Visit site

I liked the big poster the kiwis put up. It went something like -
"Challenges do you lose on purpose because you like coming back here?"