Newby -saying Hi..Looking for advice/guidance

Dominicpriestley

Visit site
Hi I'm Dom and just registered on here. Done my PB level 2 course and looking to make a purchase...

Bit of background.... We spend a lot of time on Jersey. I'm looking for a boat that will be suitable for leisure use around Jersey and for trips to Les Ecrehous/Sark/Les Minquires etc. Not looking for something to sleep on, just a boat for day trips in reasonably calm waters. Budget is around £15k ish.... Does anything exist at this price point that would be suitable?

Thanks for any advice you can give and I'm looking forward to learning a lot! :)

jamie langstone

Visit site
welcome Dom to the forum
There are few question do you want a inboard or outboard engine and also do you want a cabin or not and also do you want it to be on a trailer.

Dominicpriestley

Visit site
Outboard preferably, cabin not a deal breaker. Trailer again not a deal breaker. I'm hoping to be able to leave it in Jersey when we are back at home.

ontheplane

Visit site

Dominicpriestley

Visit site
I like the look of the seamark 550. I had thought about a Rib also. There are only the 2 of us, myself and my wife. She is fully inboard with the idea having been on plenty of Rib trips, most recently to Sark. Won't be passengers as this is a boat for us on our holidays.

bumpy_the_dog

Visit site
1. Get something you can sell relatively easily. You'll either get bored with boat ownership and want out, or you'll become even more engrossed and want something different. So a well known brand, no wild card designs, pay for the basic hull and engine rather than fancy extras (which always break).

2. Fix a budget then knock a big chunk off. Boating always costs way more than you estimate, remove any financial pressure and you'll enjoy boat ownership ten times as much.

3. Simple is best. And the further away from your boat that you live the better simple becomes!