Newbies restoring wooden gp14 2312

floaty

Visit site
Hi

We have on impulse bought a 1958 wooden gp14 mk1 boat, we have already joined the gp14 club. Any suggestions on other sources of info regarding general restoration? She doesn't look too bad but has been left in a field for the past few months and was holding water. All woodwork needs rubbing down and revarnishing. Sails are dry and intact.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241007_163317_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20241007_163317_Facebook.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 16

wombat88

Visit site
Try the CVRDA. Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association. Forum and bit quiet now but FB group alive.

B27

Visit site
I'd say the first thing is to assess the condition of the hull where it's been waterlogged.
Then catalogue all the work you intend to do and plan it.

The deck is often the worst looking bit, you may be able to strip the varnish off, clean it up with oxalic acid or a wood bleach, and dye it back to a nice looking state, OTOH, the deck is usually the easiest panel to replace.

There are lots of online resources for details of repair, once you've assessed the problem.

To be brutal, you should make sure you understand the work involved before you invest significant time or money.
That will vary case by case.
Also, do not kid yourself that the end product will be valuable in money terms. Or competitive racing against modern GP14s.

The GP14 class has some great people, I can recommend getting involved.

floaty

Visit site
Hi thank you for your advice! We have done a bit of restoration before, but on a narrowboat ! John was a sea scout some 40 years ago but I've never sailed. We are going to pop over to south staffs sailing club in a couple of weeks who have an active gp14 fleet and seem very friendly on the emails. The top of the bow deck is either delaminating or double skinned but the keel area seems solid and is now mopped out and hopefully drying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241007_163317_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20241007_163317_Facebook.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 6

floaty

Visit site
Hi thank you for your advice! We have done a bit of restoration before, but on a narrowboat ! John was a sea scout some 40 years ago but I've never sailed. We are going to pop over to south staffs sailing club in a couple of weeks who have an active gp14 fleet and seem very friendly on the emails. The top of the bow deck is either delaminating or double skinned but the keel area seems solid and is now mopped out and hopefully drying.
Yes this is just a toy for us to do up and play with, we are not expecting this to have any actual value once seaworthy. We have owned classic vans and motorcycles so are well aware they are money pits.