Newbie questions

chrisrixon

Visit site
I am still configuring my boat for a trip to start in St Malo (May) and head down towards Portugal. My last big boat sailing was 20 years ago so I'm a bit out of date. I have loads of questions and wonder if there are good web resources or books that will answer questions like these:

How to get the cheapest mobile internet access in Europe?
Should I fit Navtex?
Best Insurance for this type of trip?
Will I need an extra battery and or generator (to keep the damn fridge going!)?

Cheers Chris.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Seems to me you can never have enough power! Down in the hot climates the luxury of a cold beer and ice is unimaginable! We have a KISS wind generator, three battery banks and a solar panel. Actually the solar panel is not so great as its a bit dated now and gets in the way on deck. We find that the wind generator is fabulous and keeps the fridge well cool!
We are insured with Pantaenius- so far so good they may be a bit more expensive but the peace of mind is good for us. They let you call to extend the cruising area as and when you need so that seems fine by us.
We too are newish to this game and have already got the boat as far as Portugal, another couple of years before we take off full time- final child to finish school but up till then we spend as much time as possible on the boat, at least a week every month and are gradually making the mental move to calling her home!

ccscott49

Visit site
Mobile internet access in europe is becoming easier, but I do advise getting a local chip for your phone, they are cheap. Portugal offers a cheap internet access on TMN. Spain on Movistar, France has one, Colin Jones will be able to advise.
Navtex works in Portugal, Spain, Italy and France, to my knowledge and is informative.
Any of the big insurance companies will insure you, I'm with Pantaenius.
Extra battery capacity is always useful, your fridge will be working overtime, genny would be handy, but not essential.
All this is IMHO.

chrisrixon

Visit site
I've been worried about the noise of a wind generator? It seems a shame to go to all this expense to get away to peace and quite and be accompanied by a drone! Still I hear what you say about the beer!

chrisrixon

Visit site
Is getting a local chip easy? Do you have to sign up for 12 months and have a local address or can you just get a pay and go type of arrangement?

Also who is Colin Jones?!

Cheers Chris.

ccscott49

Visit site
I meant a diesel genny, a wind genny is ok in portugal, but not a lot of use in the meddy, solar panels, ok, but you need a couple of big ones and they are very expensive. But they are cheaper in Portugal!

HenryB

www.ballgate.com
Be careful to check whether the "pay as you go" phone deal allows you to make data calls (needed for internet access). The Greek Panafon service doesn't.

I cruise in the Med and rely on solar panels as my main means of power - a 60 watt panel gives about 35 amp hours of charge a day. I've just rebuilt my fridge (more insulation / less fridge) as it was consuming 60 amp hours a day - I'll have to wait until summer to discover what improvement I've gained.

For my money the best wind generator the Air Marine - but I can't find room for one on my 33 footer.

Navtex is a must - and coverage is excellent throughout the Med.

I have over 400 amp hour of battery capacity but when they need to be recharged it can take 4 or 5 hours of engine running.

I'm insured with St Margarets and they seem very reasonable. Also have medical insurance with them which suits my sailing - up to 45 days away from UK at a time, as many times as I like, about £110 per year for me and my wife.

Good luck with your plans.

chrisrixon

Visit site
Thanks for that, being an enginneer I like to have the numbers, even if they are depressing!
Do you use a local ISP or call the UK (or something like AOL with world access)?

HenryB

www.ballgate.com
I still use my UK ISP because some of my programming work needs access to all the web facilities. It would be cheaper to use AOL if you are on the move a lot or a local ISP if not.

And by far the cheapest way to browse is to visit an Internet cafe - almost all popular holiday spots have them.

markyb

Visit site
Anyone any idea of 'actual prices?' for using internet connectivity through a mobile? Pay as you Go or any other contract phone deal?

Also, any ISP reccommendations/charges?