Newbie question - What's my boat really capable of in coastal waters?

cap400

Visit site
Hi all,

I recently bought a used Jeanneau Cap 400 Console Mer (now sold as Rigiflex I think ) with 30hp outboard, and have spent some great days slowly exploring the Thames this summer. My previous boating experience is limited to rivers and lakes in hire boats and a Honwave SIB.

I'm looking for advice from people in the know on what I can realistically expect to be able to do in coastal waters with this boat. I appreciate the CE category system (a 'C' with 4 people) but seems like that's more about the limits, and I'm looking for real-world advice on what I could aim for, which I expect is lower.

I know that there is a lot to consider like proper training, equipment, boat maintenance, and building up experience. But assuming that was covered, where would you be willing to take a boat like this and in what conditions?

I don't have any delusions of being able to go on epic voyages in it. More the other end of the spectrum really. If I completed an RYA Level 2 now would I be able to put it to use? If rivers and lakes are really the limit for this boat in the UK then I might put off doing the course until I can afford to upgrade.

(Sorry no links included as I can't find one that isn't a for sale advert, and I'm not sure those are allowed.)

Thanks

Bouba

Visit site
That particular boat (I think) is quite popular on the coast here in the South of France as a hire boat….usually equipped with a six horse powered motor so that it can be rented by tourists who don’t have a boat license. They usually always have a Bimini sun shade and take about four people, usually whole families.
Obviously they don’t get hired in bad weather but I have seen them at least five miles away from the hire centre…but always along the coast not out to sea

julians

Visit site
That particular boat (I think) is quite popular on the coast here in the South of France as a hire boat….usually equipped with a six horse powered motor so that it can be rented by tourists who don’t have a boat license. They usually always have a Bimini sun shade and take about four people, usually whole families.
Obviously they don’t get hired in bad weather but I have seen them at least five miles away from the hire centre…but always along the coast not out to sea
Yep, a popular hire boat in majorca for people without a license.

Should be fine in coastal waters in good weather

oldbloke

Visit site
Assuming no other factors, I would be happy in a force 3 with 2 foot waves. As to how far into the open sea, really depends on how settled the conditions, the ease of help if something goes wrong, etc etc.
On your own in the Channel in January would be very lonely. In the solent in August the biggest danger would be being run down by 30 keen rescuers

cap400

Visit site

Thanks. Funnily enough, towing it down to the South of France was also something I was thinking about. We've been regular visitors to the area around the Golfe d'Aigues-Mortes for many years, with family from that area. So I was thinking about short trips along the coast and exploring some of the inland waterways. I've seen similar sized 6hp hire boats in Port Camargue and La Grand Motte, so I figured that it would probably be safe there, but the water usually looks so calm whenever I go to that area that I didn't think I could use it as a guide for anywhere in the UK!

Bouba

Visit site
Thanks. Funnily enough, towing it down to the South of France was also something I was thinking about. We've been regular visitors to the area around the Golfe d'Aigues-Mortes for many years, with family from that area. So I was thinking about short trips along the coast and exploring some of the inland waterways. I've seen similar sized 6hp hire boats in Port Camargue and La Grand Motte, so I figured that it would probably be safe there, but the water usually looks so calm whenever I go to that area that I didn't think I could use it as a guide for anywhere in the UK!
I agree….but be warned as (I’m sure you know) the Mistral can make anything difficult including walking

Bouba

Visit site
Aigüe Morte is one of my favourite places…if I had to guess the walled city wasn’t built to keep out invaders but to keep out the wind

cap400

Visit site
Assuming no other factors, I would be happy in a force 3 with 2 foot waves. As to how far into the open sea, really depends on how settled the conditions, the ease of help if something goes wrong, etc etc.
On your own in the Channel in January would be very lonely. In the solent in August the biggest danger would be being run down by 30 keen rescuers
Thanks. Was definitely thinking more along the lines of the Solent in good weather, but with limited experience I honestly didn't know if that was too optimistic. I know what the label says but wondered if people would just see me coming along and pull out the popcorn!

If I can get on an RYA Level 2 course in the next few weeks, I'm probably not going to be putting it to use for a while anyway, given the time of year. So maybe I just need to accept that's the starting point and try not to be impatient.

cap400

Visit site
Aigüe Morte is one of my favourite places…if I had to guess the walled city wasn’t built to keep out invaders but to keep out the wind
Haha you're probably right. It's a great place though. My wife's great-grandmother came from there, so have been many times. Depending on the time of year you just have to watch out for the signs to make sure they're not running bulls through the town.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
If I can get on an RYA Level 2 course in the next few weeks, I'm probably not going to be putting it to use for a while anyway, given the time of year. So maybe I just need to accept that's the starting point and try not to be impatient.
Enquire about getting the ICC (International Certificate of Competence) at the same time. Useful to wave at officials if you do take the boat to France (although not legally necessary for us Brits, but try explaining that in French). Also useful if you want to hire a boat in the future.

Refueler

Visit site
"What's my boat really capable of in coastal waters?"

rigiflex-cap-400-console-6285-1-p.jpg

Once outside of any protected waters - very little except causing you to wish you stayed inside harbour .... sorry to be blunt. Fine boat - but it really would throw you about in any seas ... even light stuff ... It would also as another says - be a very wet boat ...

I have a larger boat - older I accept - but even that - I look very carefully at weather forecast as being caught is definitely not wanted !

zemH5pCl.jpg

ylop

Visit site
Go do the course. Pick the right training centre (they all deliver the same minimum but some are more appropriate to some use than others) and soon you will be able to answer your own question. If wanting to go further then probably also consider the 1 day nav essentials course. No point waiting till you upgrade the boat.

oldgit

Visit site
As you are already on the Thames you could possibly consider going through Teddington Lock and down to the Richmond Barrier for an introduction to what lies beyond the benign non tidal bit.
As for "coastal" work, pick your day and there are launching slipways on sheltered esturaries where you could polish your skills.
If you want to do any RYA courses would suggest that it would be more useful do the course based on a tidal esturary with actual tides, rather than somewhere on the upper Thames where the main hazards usually involve aggressive swans or shouty rowers ?
Personally would suggest that away from rivers , that boat is OK for trips where you left from , always remains in sight.