New Zealand

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
If you were a yachtsman planning to spend 5 months a year in New Zealand, (and returning to the UK for our Summer) where would you chose to live? I think it would have to be the North Island (for the warmer weather) and renting rather than buying. Keeping the boat and familly home back in the UK. I would be looking for interesting coastal/inlets town village, suitable for small boat sailing and as a base for motorcycle / camper touring.

On the brink of illness induced early retirment, and looking at the next 6 months of gloomy weather in the UK, really it doesn't look like a bad option.

Any suggestions would be welcome, I'm planning a recce in January 2012.

All best Nick

richardbrennan

Visit site
I am not sure my experience will be of much help, but I did charter in New Zealand for a week after a Conference I attended in Auckland about 18 months ago.

First, Auckland is a great place and has some of the most friendly people you will meet anywhere, it is also blessed with dozens of good restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets and generally we found prices lower across the board than in the UK.

As far as the sailing goes; we took a week to sail round the Hauraki Gulf. This is a fantastic place to sail with great scenery, some reminisent of Scotland, but with better weather and no midges. Further north is the Bay of Islands which I am told is even more spectacular but it was too far for us to reach in a week.

However, we were in a 38 foot catamaran and not a small boat. Once you leave Auckland, you are pretty much on your own, there are one or two boat/yacht clubs, but anchoring in pretty much deserted bays was the norm on most evenings. I am not sure what you mean by small boat sailing, if you are hoping to trail I really cannot comment on the availability of launch sites, but I am sure such information is readily available on the web.

I hope this helps?

Tradewinds

www.etsy.com
Colin Lowe's NZ blog

Colin & Marion Lowe have a nice blog about their current travels around North Island. After completing a circumnavigation they lived & worked in Nelson, South Island before recently semi-retiring & returning to the cruising life.

Colin's outlook on cruising hasn't changed over the years and celebrates the simple (but not hair-shirt) ways afloat.

Worth a read to get a flavour of the variety of harbours & anchorages around NI.

Colin & Marion Lowe aboard Wildbird

KREW2

Visit site
I used to keep my boat in Gulf Harbour Marina, it's at the end of the Whangaparaoa Peninsular, easy access, plenty of parking and excellent facilities, and rental property would be cheaper than Aukland.
Your straight out into the Hauraki Gulf with many offshore islands to sail to, and not too far from the Coromandel it's a sailors paradise.
I've always thought a perfect retirement would be 12 months of summer, 6 here, and 6 in NZ.

ffiill

Visit site
Bay of Island east coast north Island in the far north about 100k north of Auckland-Kerikeri;Russell ;Pahia;Whangaroa;Manganui (best chippy in the world).and probably as far north as you can go the harbour at Pukenui.
East coast is very sheltered with prevailing winds-the good old Roaring 40s coming in from east off the Tasman Sea.
If you need a house you can pick up a three bed detached in Kerikeri for about £150,000 or a unit on the beach in Pahia for about the same(this is a south Pacific beach remember).Or you can pick up a preowned 3 bed transportable for about £30000(thats where house is delivered on the back of a lowloader and deposited on wooden piles usually provide by the contractor as part of the price as is the cost of transport.All you have to do is buy the land which can be expensive as place is a little too accessible to Californians!
The area is semitropical mild and wet in winter and hot all be it a little humid in summer.
To get idea of prices of boats;houses cars etc go to:
www.trademe.co.nz
Cost of living generally same as UK with diesel (no tax)about same as UK.and road fuel about 2/3 including tax.
Oh and if you can put up $1 million NZ(£500,000) you can get a fast tracked residency permit.
PS the scenery on the west coast-The Hokianga Harbour where my daughter stays is even more remote and spectacular but the flooded estuary(Ria) is only accessible over a spectacular if lethal bar with the Tasman Sea breaking on it.
If you can go go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Bay of Island east coast north Island in the far north about 100k north of Auckland-Kerikeri;Russell ;Pahia;Whangaroa;Manganui (best chippy in the world).and probably as far north as you can go the harbour at Pukenui.
East coast is very sheltered with prevailing winds-the good old Roaring 40s coming in from east off the Tasman Sea.
If you need a house you can pick up a three bed detached in Kerikeri for about £150,000 or a unit on the beach in Pahia for about the same(this is a south Pacific beach remember).Or you can pick up a preowned 3 bed transportable for about £30000(thats where house is delivered on the back of a lowloader and deposited on wooden piles usually provide by the contractor as part of the price as is the cost of transport.All you have to do is buy the land which can be expensive as place is a little too accessible to Californians!
The area is semitropical mild and wet in winter and hot all be it a little humid in summer.
To get idea of prices of boats;houses cars etc go to:
www.trademe.co.nz
Cost of living generally same as UK with diesel (no tax)about same as UK.and road fuel about 2/3 including tax.
Oh and if you can put up $1 million NZ(£500,000) you can get a fast tracked residency permit.
PS the scenery on the west coast-The Hokianga Harbour where my daughter stays is even more remote and spectacular but the flooded estuary(Ria) is only accessible over a spectacular if lethal bar with the Tasman Sea breaking on it.
If you can go go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, it looks better and better....Does the fast track residency $500,000 include assets such as family home and flat etc back in the UK ?

Mind you i suspect my health issue might well exclude me anyway. Just looks a great place!

Thanks Nick

AndrewB

Visit site
We've just come from spending 18 months in New Zealand aboard our yacht.

Assuming sailing is the major interest, you have to pick somewhere on the eastern side of the north of North Island, where there is great crusing and day sailing all the way down from Manganui in the far north to Tauranga on the Coromandel peninsula. There are two of the finest cruising grounds in the world included in this area, Bay of Islands in the north and Hauraki Gulf around Auckland. If living there (and we too are seriously considering this), somewhere around the Hauraki Gulf would be our choice, in one of the small towns an hour or two's drive from Auckland.

A great many foreign yachties who come out for 6 months in the year, buy a 'bach' (holiday cottage) in the Bay of Islands area. They have become a little pricey as a result, but can be easily rented out as holiday accomodation when you are not there. The Bay of Islands is a very beautiful area but perhaps a little remote - no large towns, three hours drive on country roads to Auckland, and little public transport.

The only other area I would consider seriously is Nelson on South Island, with its access to the Marlborough Sounds. The climate is particularly mild here. The extreme winds of the Cook Straight is something of a deterent, however, it is a more convenient location for touring the beautiful South Island.

All three of the above have convenient marinas where you could leave a yacht. Marina prices are about half of those in England.

Bear in mind that although at present NZ authorities are relaxed about foreigners coming in for up to 6 months each year, technically the rules state no return for 18 months after a 6 month stay.

PS The 'best chippie in the world' at Manganui is seriously over-rated!

Last edited:

KREW2

Visit site
This is why Gulf Harbour is so good, just check out the location Hauraki gulf to the south Bay of islands to the north, albeit a long way, drive to Aukland not too far, rental properties more reasonable.

pugwash

Visit site
Look at Whangarei, a small city halfway between Auckland and the Bay of islands. Tidal river port, perfectly sheltered. Great communications (buses and air to Auckland). Not as crowded and ritzy as Auckland. Boatyard and lovely bays nearby with lots of 'baches' or summer houses pronounced batches). Bay of Islands is very expensive but lovely estuary harbours not far away such as Kerikeri, Tutukaka, Whangaroa, Whitianga. Don't overlook the west coast which is wild for sailing but has many miles of superb surf-washed beaches - Raglan, Piha, Hokianga. Your recce will do the job for you. So many lovely spots but they get a bit boring after a few weeks (which is why I live over here).

Last edited:

truscott

Visit site
The OP sounded as if he was looking for a mix of sailing and shore side living from a base that he could use to then roam further afield. I would suggest that renting around the greater Auckland area (which is a huge catchment from Warkworth in the North as far south as the Bombay Hills), will give you a lot of scope for a decent rental, with somewhere to park both a car and a trailer sailer. There are dozens of launch sites around the Hauraki gulf to put in from, so you're really only limited by where you choose to live. If you're planning to buy, then you may like to think about elsewhere as the Auckland real estate market makes Manhattan look under priced.

There are loads of decent mid sized trailer sailer's, and for my money you'd be well served with something like a Nolex 25 (the 30 is just a little too big to be a true trailer sailer). With something in this size, the bay of islands are easily reachable in a few hours, as is trailing down to Tauranga, Taupo, and even down to the South Island.

http://www.noelex25.co.nz/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

As others have posted, the East Coast of both the North & South Islands are were most of the decent sailing takes place, but there are some superb lakes to explore, and if you're feeling really adventurous, go try the sounds. I'd leave the Tasman Sea for surfing though.

PT.

mawm

Visit site
Castaway - to answer your question re residency….you can get it if you "bring in" NZ$1M, not your total wealth elsewhere. The advantages are free health care and, after 10 years of permanent residency, superannuation.

The Huaraki Gulf is a rated by many as one of the finest places to sail - the inner gulf is sheltered with many bays where one can safely anchor. The outer gulf and Gt Barrier island are more remote and one can get tied down there during inclement weather. One can also sail down the east coast of the Coromandel peninsula to Tauranga with several places to overnight.

The Bay of Islands is beautiful…and crowded during the summer, although one can still find uncrowded anchorages. The Whangaruru and Whangaroa harbours are less crowded and very beautiful.

The Royal Akarana Coastal Cruising Handbook, the Hauraki Gulf Boating Atlas and the Northland Coast Boaties Atlas are cheap, and very useful guides to the east coast of the North Island.

The Malborough Sounds have (hearsay only) an unlimited number of bays to visit and, of course, the summer nights are longer.

Each of these three places could occupy one for a summer. The downside is that there are very few places where one can anchor and go ashore for a meal/drink. The New Zealanders tend to become self sufficient and the fishing and scallop collecting make it easy. Water and fuel are easily found and groceries if needed (takes a bit of planning). Most Marinas will usually have a berth for short term rental, and most have laundry facilities and showers.

New Zealanders will happily go out in winds of 30kn and putting in a reef is the equivalent of giving up your manhood. Tropical lows bringing in NE storms can give one some exciting nights….

Department of Conservation (DOC) campsites are cheap and often remote and, out of school holidays, easy to get into. Camper vans are readily available. However the roads can be a bit trying.

Why not hire a boat each year, one year at each location, and end it off with a road trip from wherever you are? Summer seems to start after the New Year and autumn is long and warm.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I used to keep my boat in Gulf Harbour Marina, it's at the end of the Whangaparaoa Peninsular, easy access, plenty of parking and excellent facilities, and rental property would be cheaper than Aukland.
Your straight out into the Hauraki Gulf with many offshore islands to sail to, and not too far from the Coromandel it's a sailors paradise.
I've always thought a perfect retirement would be 12 months of summer, 6 here, and 6 in NZ.

I was unaware of the UK's six summer months-could you please tell me when they are?

estarzinger

www.bethandevans.com
Our most favorite place to hangout is great barrier island.

Second choice for us would be Stewart Island.

Nelson would be third choice.

Auckland and Bay of Islands used to both be wonderful but have been overrun and the water quality is low and the crowds big.

ffiill

Visit site
Hot and sunny in the Hokianga this morning-Sunday -tropical thunderstorms and flooding in Auckland according to my wife who is there-guess a nice day for sailing in The Bay of Islands!
Starting to get cold here on Loch Ness!-and Air Newzealand have some £800 tickets going-mmm!

Greenwichman

Visit site
Depends on your boat .....

.... Auckland offers great sailing grounds ..... between Waitemata Harbour and Coromandel lie some beautiful islands in the Hauraki Gulf.

Many anchorages - often deserted - lots of sheltered water and all within a few miles of the advantages and benefits of New Zealand's foremost city.

Personally, I feel the Bay of Islands is over-rated - exposed to easterlies and a long way from anywhere else. No real plusses unless you have all the time in the world to linger.

But of course it depends on your boat.

For our Hawk 20 Auckland is great; and we can trail it elsewhere if we feel restless. See image of Kahu (Maori for hawk) on her maiden launch in Auckland last month; Rangitoto (600 year old, extinct volcanic island) in background on right.