new york new york

jaycee

Visit site
i am lucky to be going to new york for a few days before christmas.yippee!!!. my main problem is to beat my wife,s use of the credit card limit before she does. i am interested in a speed and/or depth sounders to replace my elderly v.d.o. units.are these type of things cheaper in the u.s. and compatible with our 12 volt system. any suggestions where to shop in new york. many thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
Does anyone know if HMC&E get nosey about people coming back from New York at this time of year?

I'm over there in a couple of weeks time - not sure if it's worth topping up the suitcase on the way back /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

bruce

Visit site
check westmarine.com and boatersworld.com, both have catalogs on line, and should have store addresses. have a great holiday...

<hr width=100% size=1>

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
I don't know what the official response is but over the years I have bought quite a few clothes and fishing tackle back sometimes in excess of £1000 worth, unwrapped of course, with no probs. Whether they would be so relaxed with a load of boaty electronics, I'm not so sure in the past I've been challenged for bits of new camera stuff bought in the UK and taken on hols. With receipts OK but without....

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
Technically I think you're allow to bring back about £145 of goods brought abroad without having to declare them - which is ridiculous of course.

Above that you either have to declare it (through the red channel) or brazenly walk through the green and hope you don't get caught.

Now it is highly unlikely that anyone who goes to New York just to do their christmas shopping is going to spend less than $300, and I also doubt whether many of them bother going through the red channel. So do those nice men of HMCE get extra-nosey around Christmas?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
Well, as I say I've done it often enough around Xmas but I've always taken the view that if they do stop me then I'll come clean, 'must have slipped my mind' kind of thing. After all even if you pay the duty and the tax you'll be quids in.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
The problem would be if they got nasty - they have the power to impose fines that would leave you seriously out of pocket /forums/images/icons/frown.gif; but I've only heard of them doing so when the amounts involved are substantial.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Doesnt work like that. When I bought my chart plotter through (having declared and paid appropriate duty) They had just confiscated £3000 worth of camera equipment from somebody trying to do what you recommend!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Course, you could take it out of the bag, give it a couple of dings and get someone's signature on a moody second-hand invoice.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
If it is going to be brought back and declared properly you may end up losing out some as you may have paid a USA sales tax already as well (unless from a tax free state like Delaware). In that case it can be better to have the goods shipped as an export order direct to the UK, saving any hassle at all.

We have a concern, though which so far has not been a specific problem, because SWMBO is American. We usually visit the USA family over Easter each year and take and receive both 'late' Christmas presents, Birthday presents and even on time Easter presents. SWMBO also prefers to buy her clothes and many other things over there and figures hey it is her country, why shouldn't she shop there and why should it be the business of HMC&E? I don't have the bottle to challenge her but maybe HMC&E might as she goes through the green channel, I wish them luck and walk through with fingers crossed.

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

PaulS

Visit site
Another one to check out is pyacht.com. Their prices are often lower.

No connection...etc...

<hr width=100% size=1>

ashley

Visit site
You could order your products at the cheapest web site and have them delivered to your intended hotel in time for your arrival.
I've done this with computer equipment successfuly, but it depends on your credit card security policy i suppose

That way you get your own little pre-christmas pressie session!

<hr width=100% size=1>Live life to the fullest... think of all the people on the Titanic who passed up chocolate dessert.