New to EU .. Med. Looking for 22-24m MY. Pros/Cons of Types?

Zkaliman

Visit site
says the Brit that eats sausage or burger with chips in SOF, get real, doubt you're going to persuade many ppl Bouba :p
Fact is (like it or not) that the eastern you go the cheaper and more quiet it gets ;-)
I'd also say more beautiful, but I'd be biased!
BTW, @Zkaliman having a pair of large engines in your mobo doesn't mean you have to run them hard all the time. Most ppl have seen the light of travelling at 8,9,10kn where consumption is minimal. Bit of planning (wont be a problem if you're travelling around for a couple of years) and a good autopilot is all that's needed ;-)

V.
Thanx vas

Portofino

Visit site
yeah your right there is a lot of money around the med from all over the world - good on them- “Time poor and cash rich” sometimes you really do have to rush over to st Tropez on the boat to get that good spot at that cool place - I forget the name - where everyone shoots each other with champagne !!! it does depend how you use your boat. This is a great forum - reminds me of boatdiesel.com very smart and informative people .
It’s here .

Pampelonne beach.

Cannes , Antibes about 1 hr with a boat with grunt is the bench mark to aim for .
Monaco about 1 hr with Surface drives .

I used to do it in under an hr :) From near Cannes .To where Bouba is Porqurolles around 2 hrs .

121A3C56-5B65-4724-8880-5CF1C255BC4B.jpeg
Happy days .

MapisM

Visit site
The real Med experience is the Côte d’Azur in Southern France.
It is the most expensive and crowded, but it is what it is and that is the authentic Med experience ?
There maybe some Greek or Italians who may disagree.......?
Can't speak for Greeks, but as an Italian I don't disagree at all.
You stick with anchorages like the one above that PF just posted (*), and I stick with mine.
Like this one where I was snorkeling a couple of days ago... :cool:

(*) Including the "shoot each other with champagne" bit.
Down here, we tend to pick some better wines, so you'll understand why we rather drink it.
0FE9pZQO_o.jpg

Zkaliman

Visit site
Can't speak for Greeks, but as an Italian I don't disagree at all.
You stick with anchorages like the one above that PF just posted (*), and I stick with mine.
Like this one where I was snorkeling a couple of days ago... :cool:

(*) Including the "shoot each other with champagne" bit.
Down here, we tend to pick some better wines, so you'll understand why we rather drink it.
0FE9pZQO_o.jpg
What type of boat is that ?

julians

Visit site
It’s here .

Pampelonne beach.

Cannes , Antibes about 1 hr with a boat with grunt is the bench mark to aim for .

I used to do it in under an hr :) From near Cannes .To where Bouba is Porqurolles around 2 hrs .

View attachment 123191
Happy days .
That looks horrendously busy, why would anyone travel ~30 miles (1 hour) for that? Surely there are quieter and better locations available nearer to people.

Looks similar levels of busyness to portals vells in majorca at a weekend, ie to be avoided.

Last edited:

prinex

Visit site
This is because thoses MANs sip fuel under 1000 rpm .
Mine ( 1/2 the size of the SL s ) do 15-18 L / hr each side at 9 knots .
So double that - straight cubic capacity maths = 2x 36 L - 70-80 L hr for the boat .

A pair of 350 s say 70-80 L more like 100 EACH so over double to move the boat 10-12 knots .

Not really sure you got the math down on this however: a R6-800 Man engine at 1000 rpm uses 20l/hour and delivers 75kw.

To get the same 75kw out of a N370 you would run it at 1200 rpm using 20l/hour so the same. Which is expected as there is no magic in diesel anymore.

There maybe other factors coming into play like inertial forces of a larger engine, heavier engine vs light ones, or if you do crazy comparisons like using an outboard to power a 40ton boat etc but at the end of the day if you would repower with smaller engines the advantage would be "some" fuel saving, the much cheaper maintenance and reliability because new (well this could be discussed).

So if you have a oldies with engines which are still very good and proven maintenance etc: italian tune up and so be it. If you get a old one but toasted engines they should come with a large discount on price (as rebuilding 2x1200hps would not be a joke) so it *maybe* worth to sit down with a naval engineer and find out if a repowering with smaller engines makes sense.

I have seen a method to save old wooden hulls, it was diagonal planking using plywood nailed / screwed to what good planks etc where still there, then fiberglass it. The diagonal planking was not a perfect fit either, good enough so that you would not use too much resin. I guess the purist of the holy wooden hull church would cry in horror but it did gave another 15-20 years of live to boats which where basically gone.

MapisM

Visit site
What type of boat is that ?
A timber, full displacement trawler, built by a very small Italian builder called "Cantiere Azzurro".
You can see her better in this old video, which was already posted here some years ago.

How many feet is that boat ? That snorkeling spot , how far is it from the marina where u usually keep your boat ? Thanx
53 feet hull, and around 56 including the swim platform.

Ref. that spot, you really don't want to know.
A God-forsaken small island in the middle of nowhere, hard to reach because there are just a few flights in the nearest airport.
Which is one hour drive plus 40 mins of ferry away.
And the place is also rather windy, most of the time.
Not to mention that, as a very wise member (who recently had enough of the asylum and left for good, sadly) used to say, there's nothing but tuna to eat.
I would strongly recommend anyone to consider the "authentic Med experience" of Côte d’Azur instead! :sneaky:

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
'Cause actually there's none, in "my" small island.
As opposed to the mother Island, where (among other stuff - see here for some examples) you can indeed find the best pecorino cheese of the planet. (y)

DAW

Visit site
It’s here .

Pampelonne beach.

View attachment 123191
Happy days .

For many of the boats in this photo, the purpose is not to spend a day sitting peacefully at anchor off Pampelonne Beach ... they're floating taxis delivering owners and guests to the beach restaurants ... Verde, Bagatelle, Shellona, Nikki Beach, Club 55, Moorea, Byblos, etc. ... and serving as party platforms for the journey there and back. On the larger boats, the only people on board are the crew.

A typical day is pick up guests and leave Monaco/Antibes/Cannes around 10-12, arrive at Pampelonne around 12-2pm, tender into the beach for lunch which lasts all afternoon, then back to the boat at 5-6pm, and back to Monaco/Antibes/Cannes by 7-8pm in time for sunset and a late dinner. It's not for everyone, but for some it's part of the "Cote d'Azur" lifestyle.

If you're happy to burn +1000L of diesel (and much more on the big boats) to go to lunch for a few hours, then fuel consumption and economy are unlikely to be your main consideration ... being able to cruise at 25-30 knots or more, almost regardless of sea conditions, is. Which is why you see lots of Mangustas, Pershings, and the bigger Rivas, Itamas, Sunseeker Predators, etc. ... all fitted with big engines.

As Porto says ... benchmark is to aim for +25 knots average speed, which makes the journey less than 1hr from Cannes and less than 2hr from Monaco.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
It’s here .

Pampelonne beach.

View attachment 123191
Happy days .
This is why I live at the other end of the South of France ! ......... :cool:

Zkaliman

Visit site
Hello to all ~
New to the Forum as of 22 July.

I am a San Francisco - USA, 20 yr, USCG 100 Ton Master, power boater (and a dual-Cit - Portugal).
My wife and I are planning a 1-3 year tour of the EU, and are thinking about a 22-24m "live aboard" program that would take us all over the northern Med., 3-6 months per-place, at a time.
I am familiar with American boats that would suit this (older Hatteras, Burger, Broward, Grand Banks; newer Flemming, Ocean Alexander, Outer Reef). I am *not* familiar with EU brands.
We will double-hand the boat, and I want to stay below 24m for all kinds of reasons.
So, before we go jumping in with both feet, what should I be thinking about?
Presume I am a total novice.
Warn me about: windage, fuel costs, maintenance gremlins.
Talk to me about the variages of wooden boats vs. plastic, vs aluminum.
Tell me about how difficult or impossible it will be to find a transient slip in a marina for a 22-24m boat.
Talk me out of this plan, then tell me why you what you would do to make it happen for yourself.
:)
That’s interesting - great post - it’s allowed be to piggy back off it as I’m in “same boat “ - though my idea is to keep boat in europe many years and leave in different and stay on boat for extended periods like a floating house/condo that I leave in different countries. We’re actually from San Diego California My son just started his third year at cal maritime in valleho he’s a mechanical engineering major and will graduate with his ME degree and third mates license . What a great forum - I’ve been in euripe for a while boat hunting so I’ve got boots on ground here if u need anything let me know- though these guys here are the best resources as I never captain my boat always use a day captain. In my quest I’ve learned the preferred area for dinghy is on swimstep . Someone posted here on the purchase process here where if u make an offer and it’s accepted if during survey there is no safety issues than the boat is yours as opposed to u.s. where there’s more room for further negotiating or getting out. but I’m quite sure not all contracts are like that. Luckily My first broker is working out great , we are close to selecting a boat , he’s Spanish speaks perfect English , he’s also a naval architect graduated from a school in Southampton - a boating epicenter - we’ve visited a few boats - and actually I turned him into my boat consultant- I lean on him a lot - as well as going to these forums - he knows what I’m looking for - and if I find something I’ll send to him and he gives me pros and cons summary - has saved me money because then I don’t travel to go see unsuitable boats. He wasn’t charging me but I insist on paying him because then it is serious detailed boat consulting . I can give u his contact info and I can send u his summaries he’s sent me on past boats we’ve looked at. Might be a good resource that’s here on the ground and can really lean on with detailed questions .Been learning a lot. I’m between a 300k usd newer typical flybridge 18.5 meter guy Couach which would work but I still feel like a small apartment and an aft cabin trawler and it’s even tighter and the layout is all wrong for the med, doesn’t look cool and finally there’s a 75 foot Sanlorenzo which I can really spread out but has 1,050 12v92ta DD. The 62 San Lorenzo a forum member suggested sounds interesting - I’ve been wanted to board a 65 princess. Cheers good luck- enjoy the process. It’s a great post u started and a lot of great members. I’m actually thinking of buying my son a 35 foot lobster boat to keep in Benicia by his school.
have u decided on a boat ? What size range u gonna stick with ?

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
That looks horrendously busy, why would anyone travel ~30 miles (1 hour) for that? Surely there are quieter and better locations available nearer to people.

Looks similar levels of busyness to portals vells in majorca at a weekend, ie to be avoided.
Yes there are .
DAW post #111 has elegantly described the scene .
The thing about the CdA it has a transient population and plenty of newcomers eager to try this kinda stuff out .
The more experienced guys ( boaters ) will avoid.

In the Itama years ( based near Cannes ) we just went straight past to the next bay W ,or on to Porquerolles.

How ever having completed a 3 rd season in Liguria, it took a while to decompress busyness wise but are loving the relative solitude.

This is our bag nowadays .

85322D8A-4C11-4480-986F-8F2027C746B1.jpeg
As I have said in previous threads , you will go bust trying to sell seakeepers here . :)

Hurricane

Visit site
Yes, Spain is for those British people who want to keep company with other British people while eating British food and alcohol in the sunshine.
How so wrong you are.
There are other Spanish places other than Benedorm you know.
Try some real Spanish places with real Spanish atmospheres.
IMO far nicer than the over priced SoF