New Tender Outboard

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I've decided to buy a new outboard for my trader. I'm looking for as much power within the 15-18kg range so it's looking like a 3.5hp.

From what I can see most makes are very similar ie weight/ cost etc I've looked at Mercury/ Mariner/ Tohatsu and then some of the cheaper Models Hangkhai (sp).

I want one with at least forward an neutral gears and I'm not keen on the Honda air cooled.

I'm not looking to save £50 by buying a cheaper model but what it the consensus with the more main stream models are they all the same just different packaging.

It's to be used in Greece, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your input.

Topcat47

Visit site
If it were me, I'd see if Turkey had a Tohatsu agent and import a 2-stroke 3.5. They are very light, very simple and my own experience of them is that, properly cared for they are very reliable. My only problem is that the screws do get bound by corrosion, but I now undo as many as I can get to, and re-grease them before fitting them back as part of the service routine.

dartmoor

Visit site
DON"T buy a Hangkai whatever you do. Apart from that all the main makes are much of a muchness. The Mercury/Mariner/Tohatsu are identical - just look for the best online price.

Yamaha is well engineered but more expensive.

For lightness Suzuki 2.5hp is a gem.

dartmoor

Visit site
Tohatsu 3.5 2-Stroke, if you can find one. Turkey and Malta are non-EEC members which may help. And in Greece, get a fabric cover, as the Black plastic covers go white with exposure to UV. Silicone grease all the fastenings when you get it and as part of your annual service routine.

Malta is part of the EU!

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far, I e heard the Tohatsu 2 stroke is a good choice but failing that has anyone got any experience of the 4 stroke 3.5 Tohatsu? I've looked on line at the mariner review and it's seems to get slated.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far, I e heard the Tohatsu 2 stroke is a good choice but failing that has anyone got any experience of the 4 stroke 3.5 Tohatsu? I've looked on line at the mariner review and it's seems to get slated.

I have a Tohatsu 3.5 four stroke, bought it last year. Gets the dinghy on the plane, not too heavy, start on the first/second pull., good engine. I also had in the past a Mercury 3.5 four stroke which is a Tohatsu under different name; the ignition circuit was faulty which caused the engine to cut-out when hot, however, it was replaced under warranty.

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I have a Tohatsu 3.5 four stroke, bought it last year. Gets the dinghy on the plane, not too heavy, start on the first/second pull., good engine. I also had in the past a Mercury 3.5 four stroke which is a Tohatsu under different name; the ignition circuit was faulty which caused the engine to cut-out when hot, however, it was replaced under warranty.

I think the Tohatsu is ticking my boxes, now I need to go and find the best deal- £540 seems to be the one, unless anyone has seen them cheaper:)