New Solentmet (Chimet, Bramblemet, Cambermet, Sotonmet) mobile app

jlavery

Visit site
Hi all,
For those Solent-based, you may want to know that the Solentmet mobile app has been completely rewritten. It needed it, as the Android version had major problems with newer devices.

Android Play store link here: Solentmet - Apps on Google Play
iPhone App Store link here: ‎SolentMet

Disclaimer - I do have a vested interest, as I rewrote it!

James

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 22.51.52.png Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 22.51.09.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 22.51.24.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 22.51.24.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 3

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Hi all,
For those Solent-based, you may want to know that the Solentmet mobile app has been completely rewritten. It needed it, as the Android version had major problems with newer devices.

Android Play store link here: Solentmet - Apps on Google Play
iPhone App Store link here: ‎SolentMet

Disclaimer - I do have a vested interest, as I rewrote it!

James

View attachment 122644 View attachment 122646
I didn't realise that there even was an app... This is so much better than the webpage, good work!

GD_Chi

Visit site
Great refresh to Chimet, Cambermet, etc, the most useful web site / app when sailing in and around Chichester harbour.

Constructive feedback is part of any product development process, but please be aware that this whole 'met' system, which is free to use, is provided by a charity and volunteers. See the SSG link right at the bottom on the full web page for details.

Thanks for writing this when you could have been sailing yourself......or did you do it onboard!

Guy.

NDG

Visit site
Chimet is very good Indeed and I didn’t know it had an app so thank you.

Another similar resource which also covers other areas of the UK is www.weatherfile.com . Not sure it has an app but it’s a good site for the western Solent where it covers Lymington starting platform, Hurst and Yarmouth pier.

MikeB.

Visit site
Excellent use the website shall now use App as well. Living near the Sotonmet station on the grain towers, it sometimes surprises me the difference between Soton Met readings compared with Bramblemet readings. Particularly compared with the BBC which takes its info from NOC which is no more than half a mile from the grain towers!

jlavery

Visit site
Great refresh to Chimet, Cambermet, etc, the most useful web site / app when sailing in and around Chichester harbour.

Constructive feedback is part of any product development process, but please be aware that this whole 'met' system, which is free to use, is provided by a charity and volunteers. See the SSG link right at the bottom on the full web page for details.

Thanks for writing this when you could have been sailing yourself......or did you do it onboard!

Guy.
Thanks for highlighting the fact that SSG is a charity and run by volunteers. There's a "Donate" button on the "About" page in the app.

The rewrite took about 18 months in the evenings after my day job of writing cross-platform mobile apps and Cruising Instructing. Rather a hiatus this season, as we were off sailing too much!

James

jlavery

Visit site
Bramblemet was wiped out by a dayboat in August - good news ABP are planning to install replacement kit this Thursday, weather permitting.

Sotonmet FTP feed from ABP went down this morning. I asked what was occurring, and looke like they've fixed whatever was going wrong.

We have lost radio comms with Cambermet since mid morning. Still assessing whether problem is at station end or receiving computer.

bdh198

Visit site
Bramblemet was wiped out by a dayboat in August - good news ABP are planning to install replacement kit this Thursday, weather permitting.

Sotonmet FTP feed from ABP went down this morning. I asked what was occurring, and looke like they've fixed whatever was going wrong.

We have lost radio comms with Cambermet since mid morning. Still assessing whether problem is at station end or receiving computer.

Good to hear Bramblemet is getting replacement kit. It’s a useful tool when sailing in the Solent, and I’ve found myself using the archive files of weather data on many occasions to look up the records. I was a bit worried ABP weren’t going to continue maintaining the station after it stopped working in August, but I will now be making a donation to support the continued running of the station.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I see Bramblemet back up and running but appears to be reading 90 degrees off the (strong) prevailing wind this morning. Most sources SW at 20/25kts, Bramblemet SE at same speed.

jlavery

Visit site
Yes, ABP need to get out to the pole to adjust it by 129 degrees.

I migh investigate fixing as we process the data, to get a quicker solution.