New sails

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
I'm in the market for a new main and genoa for my masthead rigged 1985 3/4 tonner, (34') which these days is used for cruising as the closest racing to me is 35 miles away.
My proposed budget is up to 4k.
I was interested in the article in the latest YM (Nov) on cruisers sailcloth which introduced another layer of complication into the decision making process.

The main driving sail is the 140% genoa set on a Harken furler.
In practice the genoa provides 75 to 80% of my upwind speed in a wind range of 5 to 20knts.
So it follows that I should specify a better quality cloth for the genoa.

The mainsail is high aspect and currently soft luff but thinking about going fully battened.
The current main is a Hyde laminate which still has a good shape but the glues used on seams and batten pockets have all given up and have had to be repaired and sewn.
It also doesn't have a third reef which I could have used a few times recently.

So current thinking is Hydronet or similar for the genoa and a fully battened dacron main.

Any thoughts?

johnalison

Visit site
I took the opposite line. I got new sails from Parker & Kay last year. I chose laminate for the jib (110%) and Hydronet for the main. My reasoning was that in cruising it is never going to be possible to avoid some flogging when raising and lowering the main, and this might shorten my main's life. My last laminate jib lasted 12 seasons, so I should be OK if I carry on as usual, and the laminate should hold its shape as well a being cheaper. We have done one season with the new sails and I'm very happy with them. Except - have you ever tried folding Hydronet?

Concerto

Visit site
I am in a similar position with my Fulmar. After chatting with a number of sailmakers and listening to their recommendations. I have decided that the sails must be made completely in the UK. The sail cloth was slightly more difficult as I am replacing 16 year old Hood sails including a fully battened main. My choice is for Vectran, but there is variances between sailcloth manufacturers and D&P has the tightest and most even weave. Vectran should give a sail life of about 20 years, so should be my last set. The final choice of sailmakers was slightly more difficult and eventually settled on Kemp.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
Agree on the UK made sails having seen some of the rubbish made in the far east with big name stickers on the sail.
I'm aiming at giving local-ish business Advantage sails the work but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I give any go ahead.
I'm thinking 5 to 8 seasons, 20 seems a little ott.

Downside of fully battened is................?

The only other idea is to reduce the jib to 120% and add some roach on the main as I said earlier its very high aspect.
36' luff and only a 10' foot.
My worry is currently she is perfectly balanced and I might end up adding weather helm with a bigger roached main.

Concerto

Visit site
The runner up in my choice was One Sails, which are fairly local to you.

The amount of use a sail has will affect its life. I do not do lots of long distance sailing, but Vectran is designed for this. The Hood dacron mainsail still sets well after 16 years but the furling genoa is not setting well now as the leach is too tight with a poorly fitted UV strip.

Downside of a fully battened sail is? Slightly heavier to haul up and fitting the full length battens can be difficult. Otherwise I cannot think of any problems other than possible chafe on the batten pockets against the shrouds.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
As mentioned, Vectran may be worth looking at .

It's a hybrid weave of polyester and Dyneema .

It's still woven so takes out some of the worry with laminates.

Minchsailor

Visit site
+1 to fully battened. I had a new FB main made last winter; it sets a treat and is easy to hoist and stow. Cannot comment on material - I went for a premium cruising quality as I use the boat a lot, no racing (except when another yacht is in sight....).

Other threads that may be of interest