New rope for the roller reefing. What a transformation!

Thresher

Visit site
I've been struggling with my Rotostay e roller reefing for years, sometimes having to go forward and turn the thing by hand to get it to reef. I replaced the bearings last year and it was an improvement, not great though. I've just replaced the old reefing cord with new polyester braid, the slippy stuff that I don't like because winches can't grip it and wow! it's like new. Who knew that friction was such an issue with them? (probably everyone except me). I would have done it years ago if I'd known.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I've been struggling with my Rotostay e roller reefing for years, sometimes having to go forward and turn the thing by hand to get it to reef. I replaced the bearings last year and it was an improvement, not great though. I've just replaced the old reefing cord with new polyester braid, the slippy stuff that I don't like because winches can't grip it and wow! it's like new. Who knew that friction was such an issue with them? (probably everyone except me). I would have done it years ago if I'd known.
Everybody has moments like that ... if they are truthful. I had a clear face-palm moment just a few days ago; A realization of simple simple yaw reduction method I should have thought of years ago, and I've even tested options and researched the matter. There is always something that is obvious the moment after you figure it out.

And that is the charm of sailing. There's always something to learn.

mrming

instagram.com
The previous owner of my boat routed the furling line through a series of bullseyes attached to the bottom of the stanchions. I replaced them with a set of the purpose designed Selden blocks (purchased from a helpful forumite via the For Sale section). It made far more difference than I expected, and the furler is very easy to turn now.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Ours is a bitch. Brand new, dyneema line in recommended diameter, runs in a plastic tube inside the boat, the drum is under the deck. The only block needed is a Ronstan orbit block, but its tough. Unmovable with any halyard tension. It’s Selden. My wife always winches it. I can do it standing on the cockpit seat with my legs.

rotrax

Visit site
Are you admitting to using a winch to furl a head sail in? :oops:
We have only a Lewmar 40 powered winch for our standard sail handling. Only the Starboard side code zero sheet has a manual winch.

Nine seasons using a powered winch and I am wondering why all boats dont have them.

No problems in use, I frequently check that both the code zero and jib furlers turn freely by hand, less often do I check the in mast furling main.

A new furling line on that at the start of the season, because it was getting shabby, not because of any stiffness/friction issues.

I am pretty instantly aware if the Lewmar is working too hard by the noise it makes, plus the drum clicks as the self tailer moves the line across the drum. Louder clicks and I check for free running.

If it runs free, where is the issue of how it is operated?

neil1967

Visit site
We have only a Lewmar 40 powered winch for our standard sail handling. Only the Starboard side code zero sheet has a manual winch.

Nine seasons using a powered winch and I am wondering why all boats dont have them.

No problems in use, I frequently check that both the code zero and jib furlers turn freely by hand, less often do I check the in mast furling main.

A new furling line on that at the start of the season, because it was getting shabby, not because of any stiffness/friction issues.

I am pretty instantly aware if the Lewmar is working too hard by the noise it makes, plus the drum clicks as the self tailer moves the line across the drum. Louder clicks and I check for free running.

If it runs free, where is the issue of how it is operated?
I recently sailed on a yacht with an electric winches and I too was amazed, particularly for the ease of furling, which was possible on most points of sail. Seriously considering getting one.