New Raymarine Evolution autopilot versus SPX5

Chanquete

Visit site
Hello
In a near future I expect to buy a Wheel autopilot for my 37 foot sailboat.
Does anyone know the new Raymarine Evolution autopilots? Are they better and more rugged than the older Raymarine SPX5?
Aside from control issues are the gears stronger?

Thanks in advance!

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Good question, I was planning to have a chat with raymarine about them at SIBS. Are the new evolution pilots shipping now?

I was under the impression that they had been announced but not shipping yet but could be mistaken.

jwilson

Visit site
Good question, I was planning to have a chat with raymarine about them at SIBS. Are the new evolution pilots shipping now?

I was under the impression that they had been announced but not shipping yet but could be mistaken.
It looks as though they use the same ST4000 Mk II wheel drive unit as the earlier SPX and the ST4000 etc. for the wheel mounted versions. The wheel drive is the weak link in the system: slow and lacks power compared to ram drives, and has a very well known habit of the clutch disengaging itself as things wear, hence the number you see with loops of string or shockcord to hold the clutch lever in place.

FullCircle

Visit site
It looks as though they use the same ST4000 Mk II wheel drive unit as the earlier SPX and the ST4000 etc. for the wheel mounted versions. The wheel drive is the weak link in the system: slow and lacks power compared to ram drives, and has a very well known habit of the clutch disengaging itself as things wear, hence the number you see with loops of string or shockcord to hold the clutch lever in place.

Disposed of mine for that very reason.
It will not control the boat in anything over an F3

Tranona

Visit site
Hello
In a near future I expect to buy a Wheel autopilot for my 37 foot sailboat.
Does anyone know the new Raymarine Evolution autopilots? Are they better and more rugged than the older Raymarine SPX5?
Aside from control issues are the gears stronger?

Thanks in advance!
Looks like the same drive unit. Last time I spoke to Raymarine about the gears after the third failure on mine said no plans to change the gears. Would not fit one through choice again on a 37' boat.

Chanquete

Visit site
Thank you Georgio, JWilson, Full Circle and Tramona.
Here also people agrees with your opinions confirming that the waterproofing and mechanical characteristics of wheel drive and particularly the gears are the weakest part of the system.
I hope we all are wrong and finally Raymarine concentrates its attention on the mechaniss of their autopilots.

Saludos!

maby

Visit site

As far as I can see, the evolution range is only new electronics - all the drive units remain the same.

mdrifter

Visit site
If motoring/motorsailing under reasonable conditions our S1G has coped. Sailing it doesn't do a good job even if reefed and sailing "balanced" and near flat. Having stripped 2 gear boxes the best move although not cheapest will be to install ram drive on Westerly Seahawk 35 - fin keel/spade rudder, c.7.5/8 tonnes.

uxb

Visit site
I got fed up with the noise, poor performance and shock cord rigging on the Raymarine wheel pilot that came with new boatie, I'd have fitted another Simrad wheel pilot had they still been made as I got 14 years hard use out the last one.

Everyone said to fit an inboard system, which I did , and I am very happy with it so far!