new plotter

archiekaren

Visit site
Im looking at buying a new plotter, maybe the new garmin with the g2 vision cards.

Looking on the net some of the sites are in the USA. And getting just under $2 to the £1 works out at almost half the price.

Would there be any problems with buying from the US ( compatable )

Would the charts ( for the english channel and france ) work ok

Would i get stung on import duty.

Has anyone brought from the US before.

Thanks.

No1_Moose

Visit site
I'll be bringing back a Garmin 4008 next week from the US. You need to get the 4008, 4012, 5008 or 5012 as the 42xx and 52xx models come with $500 worth of US charts that you won't need. The G2 vision charts purchased here will work perfectly, but there's no need to buy them here because they too are half price over there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. You will get done for import duty though. Garmin UK have told me that the guarantee and warranty are valid here.

Sixpence

Visit site
So they'll honour any warranty even if it's not purchased here ? does that mean they'll actually deal with it here or will they send it back to the US for repairs / exchange or will they deal with it entirely here ?

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Many manufacturers will honour warranties worldwide - a trend led by the laptop, and camera manufactures who realised that they were portable. But, they will still 'bully' their dealers into stopping cross border sales and use the courts even though they will allow and even encourage airport duty free sales as they are seen as PR sales that boosts the reputation and status of the product.

Sixpence

Visit site
I think I'll give it a go and see what happens , but not sure I can convince Louise it's the right way to go , but you know me , I like to buck the trend sometimes

archiekaren

Visit site
Just checked prices and exchange rate etc.

Garmin 4012 plotter in the USA = £1055 ( no shipping or chart )

Garmin 4012 plotter in the UK = £2299 ( no shipping or chart )

WTF let me think about this..

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shannoner

Visit site
What would the import duty be? Just in case you get stung for it, I assume it would still work out cheaper from the US looking at that price comparison?
The Customs over here are cracking down on internet purchases, I know a few people that were hit with duty on internet purchases, it left the item at roughly the same price as you would have paid here in Ireland.

RIMCOas01

home.c2i.net
Just a comment if I may regarding imported goods, warranty issues and not having paid import duty/- MVA.

Often returning to the UK I have purchased numerous elec. "cheaper" gadgets over the years ... several of which have failed during their "worldwide" warranty period.
It can be a problem as here (Sony for example) will not repair goods unless proof of VAT paid on importation can be shown.

So you takes your chances .... ;-))
M

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It can be a problem as here (Sony for example) will not repair goods unless proof of VAT paid on importation can be shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, are they Norway's tax collector?

A worldwide guarantee is a worldwide guarantee, so I think you need to press them into reparing the item by first asking them what the VAT status of the item has to do with them.

Not sure how it pans out in Norway, as it is not in the EU but only in the EEA.

Seems you are not the only one.

A further search told me that soem worldwide warranties can only be used if you send the item back to the manufacturing base - Japan in Sony's case.

alandee

Visit site
Hi. I bought two Raymarine RL70 C Chartplotters last year from the States as they were no longer available in the UK. The price with Import Duty and postage/insurance only saved me about £20 per unit. They arrived in 36 hours!

RIMCOas01

home.c2i.net
Hei MC ... point taken ... Norway may be a little different ... believe me I argued but their side of the matter was "you cannot invoke the WW.guarantee" if the item has been illegally imported into this country (tantamount to stealing I assume). Also they admitted their profits come from sales, with enough margin to handle an odd related fault. The cost of repairs for minor items (less than equiv. £500) and all the paperwork involved reclaiming costs back from manufacturers was a real pain/- unprofitable.

I bit the bullet and paid up (still cheaper than 4%import & 25% MVA ;-))

I have had similar problems with Panasonic, Hitachi and some (Dixons sold) tradenamed VHS/DVD machine.

When abroad I now go by the rule: if the net saving is 50% (25% MVA and 25% of the net sales price) okay ... otherwise save up for another week and buy it locally;-)) ... cos here we get min. 2 years warranty on anything and a total of 5 years if a manuf. quality fault.

Vi snakkes

M

M

Mike_S

Visit site
mla, which online sites are you looking at in the US ?

Seeing as how I'm also on the hunt for a plotter from the US I'd be interested in a comparison.

Cheers

Mike